Future of the Power Mac G4 ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone know the future of the Power Mac G4?

1.25GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

Mac OS 9 boot supported

Will they cut the price even more?

Upgrade beyond 1.25 G4?

Kill off the G4 and have only G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Anyone know the future of the Power Mac G4?

1.25GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

Mac OS 9 boot supported

Will they cut the price even more?

Upgrade beyond 1.25 G4?

Kill off the G4 and have only G5?

If you want a G4 PowerMac, you better act now. The G4 processor family will be alive and well for a few more years in consumer-level macs, but the G5 is taking over in the pro-level macs ... and the PowerMac is meant for pros.

I strongly suspect that Apple will introduce a new, affordable G4 desktop next year ... not an all-in-one like the current eMac or iMac but more like the old Cube or a smaller version of the PowerMac G4.

The G4 will stay around for a while simply because the G5 is too expensive for low-priced consumer-level machines. It's the same reason Intel has Celerons and Pentiums ... one is cheaper to make than the other and goes into cheaper machines. Still, the cheaper processors are MORE than capable of doing what most people need.

Anyway, if you want a G4 PowerMac (particularly one that can boot into OS9) you're better off buying one now or risk missing the last G4 PowerMac.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The power Mac G4 has no future. The prize of the entry model of the power G5 is decreasing. When it will reach 1500 $ (it's only 300 $ less than the current G5 1,6) the G4 will disappear.

It's only a question of months. A 1,8 single G5 will be more performant than the dual 1,25 model.

The G4 has only an advantage of price, but Apple is more interested by selling G5 than G4. The more he will sell G5, the more his margin will be higher, or the prices of the G5 will be lower. I think that the G4 tower will disappear before the end of 2004.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    The G4 will probably stay around in some laptops for most of next year, but I think it will be replaced by the G5 in all towers and iMacs as soon as possible.

On the other hand, they might keep the dual G4 tower around for awhile longer just for the shops that need to boot into os9.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Two words:

FileMaker Server.

The PowerMac G4 is an incredibly valuble machine for those of us who continue to deploy FileMaker servers. It's the only Mac that can still boot into OS 9, and FM Server for OS X bites so bad that users are still demanding OS 9 bootable Macs to run Server on. When FileMaker fixes the issues and releases 7.0 Server (It's at 5.5 now) then Apple will probably kill off the G4 tower.

And before you say anything, yes I know that FM Server runs great on a windows machine but come on, I still would rather use yesterday's outdated, OS 9 booting G4 than to have to use a pee cee.

Joe
  • Reply 5 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The G4 will be the much-anticipated "switcher" box.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Dead G4 walkin'. It has no future.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Dead G4 walkin'. It has no future.

People said the SAME thing about the G3 back in 2000 when the G4 was taking over. The G3 had life in "new" desktops and laptops until this year.

The same thing will happen with the G4. Apple cannot afford to put the expensive G5s in all their desktops and laptops ... unless they don't want average consumers to buy their expensive products ... which would be suicide.

When the G5 prices go down, G4s will disappear ... but by that time we'll probably have G6 chips. The only random factor is Motorola. If Motorola can continue to produce the G4s and continue to squeeze more MHz out of the chips, G4s will be around probably until 2006. If Moto continues to have problems getting G4s to Apple, IBM will have a window of opportunity to release two levels of G5s (cheap and expensive) or rush the development of the G6 and become the EXCLUSIVE supplier of processors for Apple by 2005.

Still, even in the worst-case scenario for Moto, G4s will have AT LEAST one more full year of life in "new" production desktops and laptops from Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They're still way to expensive on the Apple Store. \

Perhaps they'll do one more price cut before not offering them anymore. That would definitely be cool! With the G5 being twice as fast shouldn't that mean the PMG4s are half their price?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    It is the OS9 compatibility that has kept them going. They'll stay until people no longer need OS9 support.

Although a price cut wouldn't go a miss...

Peace,

Marc
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

They're still way to expensive on the Apple Store. \

Perhaps they'll do one more price cut before not offering them anymore. That would definitely be cool! With the G5 being twice as fast shouldn't that mean the PMG4s are half their price?

Yes, G4s are too expensive ... but G5s are even more expensive.

Be careful about the "twice as fast" comment. Benchmarks indicate that in some apps a dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac is actually FASTER (by a very slim margin) than the single processor 1.6GHz G5 PowerMac.

A Dual 1.25GHz G4 is $1,599 from the Apple store. A single 1.6GHz G5 is $1,799 from the Apple Store. The dual G4 still looks like a good deal to me. When the G5 PowerMacs all go dual, the G4 PowerMacs will no longer compete at the upper level.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The power Mac G4 has no future. The prize of the entry model of the power G5 is decreasing. When it will reach 1500 $ (it's only 300 $ less than the current G5 1,6) the G4 will disappear.

It's only a question of months. A 1,8 single G5 will be more performant than the dual 1,25 model.

The G4 has only an advantage of price, but Apple is more interested by selling G5 than G4. The more he will sell G5, the more his margin will be higher, or the prices of the G5 will be lower. I think that the G4 tower will disappear before the end of 2004.

It's for os 9 holdouts, for one thing.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

The dual G4 still looks like a good deal to me. When the G5 PowerMacs all go dual, the G4 PowerMacs will no longer compete at the upper level.

The low-end G5 PowerMac will most likely always be a single processor machine. Once the low-end G5 PowerMac is a single 2.0Ghz or better, the G4 PowerMacs won't look so enticing, which may not be too long from now.

And as many have iterated - the G4 PowerMacs are hanging around only for MacOS 9 support. They'll probably be around for no more than another year - for all those Quark users (yeah Quark has a MacOS X version but people don't seem to like it or want to upgrade), FileMaker users, and other MacOS 9 holdouts.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I think they should keep a dual G4 and price it under $1199. The education market would love that!. I would love that. I'd probably buy two. The G4 i think is the perfect proessor for education cause in the edc world, they really don't need a dual 2.0Ghz G5. They might for some classes like Video editing, but the Dual 1.25Ghz G4 is plenty fast. The iMac G3 600Mhz sitting in my basement is still fast. I can surf the web without hang ups, Word processing, running a server of it, burning cd's, listening to music. It does all that, and it's quite snappy.