iMac CD-RW won't burn data CD-RW

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I posted this somewhere awhile ago but never got far with it. Awhile back I tried to burn a data CD is OSX.1. It was a maxell "high speed" CD-RW in a iMac 500MHZ.....about two months old.

Needless to say it won't burn. I did get the drive to burn an audio CD-R in iTunes, but not without some work.

Is the "high speed" thing the problem here? We got a new iBook with the combo drive and I am now afraid to buy CD-RW's for it until I find out what the problem is. Any reccomended brands and/or formats?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Are you using Disc Burner or Toast?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

Is the "high speed" thing the problem here?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That could be the problem. I remember reading something that said Apple does not suggest using the high speed disks. I just wish I could remember where I read it. I just found something in the Knowlege Base. It isn't an perfect match but might help.

Article ID:58785

TOPIC

The CD-RW drive included with some Macintosh computers can read from, but cannot write to High Speed CD-RW discs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION

Symptom

If you try to write to a High Speed CD-RW disc an alert box with this error message appears:

"There was a problem with the target device. Error code -7932."

Products affected

*\t

Power Mac G4 computer with CD-RW drive

*\t

iMac (Early 2001)

*\t

Disc Burner software

Solution

Only use CD-RW discs that are rated from 1x to 4x speed. The CD-RW drive in your computer cannot write to High Speed CD-RW discs (4x to 10x speed). Although the drive cannot write to High Speed CD-RW discs, it can read them.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>