best export format for iMovie file

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've done a compilation for a client (its very simple) in iMovie.

now i need to export the movie for her to take along to a presentation. the export as DV gives me *huge* files as i would expect -- bigger than will go in a CD.

i don't have a superdrive in my PB, and she won't have access to a DVD player anyway. the next export option down (for CD) gives a really crummy result.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Export to high quality MPEG format and burn to video disk. Although since your client doesn't have a DVD player that won't work. If you have access to a portable that would be the best. If not you may be stuck with a downgrade in quality.

Edit: After re reading your post I noticed that you said you had a PB, bring your PB and show your client the movie on it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I would recomend you use Quicktime pro its only 29.99

What you would do is Take the DV fiel you exported and open it with QT. Then go to export and choose as QT movie. and you can choose one of the default settings.

If u don't like your results hit advanced and mess around with the different settings. I like to use MPEG4 wiht mpeg4 audio but it depends on other thigns as well. Mess around and you'll get a good result with QT PRO.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Maybe you should just buy a DVD player. The cheapest ones are probably around $50.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

i've done a compilation for a client (its very simple) in iMovie.

now i need to export the movie for her to take along to a presentation. the export as DV gives me *huge* files as i would expect -- bigger than will go in a CD.

i don't have a superdrive in my PB, and she won't have access to a DVD player anyway. the next export option down (for CD) gives a really crummy result.

any suggestions?

1) connect both machine via firewire (your machine in target modus (press T by starting) and transfer the big file into hers ;-)

2) make a zip archive of your large dv file and while zipping it split (its an option) it into chunks of 600MB. re-zip onto your clients machine

3) import your dv file into qt pro, export it as mpeg4 - best quality with lowest size

4) ?

5) ?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thanks everyone.

the only problem i have is that mpeg4 only gives me a small movie and my needs to run it full screen...

i'm trying out the expert settings though
  • Reply 6 of 9
    get an external hard drive or dvd burner
  • Reply 7 of 9
    my client is off to finland with a huge box of prototypes of a well known phone companies new models. so she's not taking her laptp. so this needs to work sans laptop...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

my client is off to finland with a huge box of prototypes of a well known phone companies new models. so she's not taking her laptp. so this needs to work sans laptop...

So she won't have access to a DVD player (you said in your first post) and she won't have access to laptop either?! What is this CD going to play on then?

Anyway; here's my suggestions.

?Put it on video tape. Most modern european video players and TVs will play NTSC and PAL formats so it shouldn't be aproblem if your tape is NTSC.

?Go to a mac shop with your movie and get them to put on a DVD for you? (assuming the place will have a DVD player handy-she could check first right?).

?Make it into a VCD using toast (though not all DVD players like VCDs) and I'm not sure what you need to compress it to Mpeg1

?If the MPEG-4 is too small when exporting, select export to Quicktime, then select Expert settings>Export. This gives you the option to export using all of the different Quicktime codecs.

Select Export to Quicktime Movie. Click on the options button. Under the video heading click on the settings button, choose the codec of your choice. (I'd go with Sorenson Video3 as it enlarges better in my opinion). Click OK. click on Size>use custom size>Enter what you will (640x480?).OK. That should do ya.

For audio I like QDesign music2 or MPEG-4 Audio.

Seriously though...she needs her laptop really if she's out to impress clients ...get her to buy a new PB12" (if she hasn't already).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sorry i wasn't very clear...

she's going to be using someone elses PC laptop. so i'm going for avi files