FEATURES Apple should implement in OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so we love panther, it's a huge step forward, and I'd rate it's stability at 100% on my un-clean install over previous unclean installs.

But while spiffy, OS X is not perfect, and I figured we could vent our desired features here.

I'll get things warmed up:
  • Opening Safari's Downloads window in a tab.

• The ability to open Favorites bar menu items in a new tab by opening the menu, and then middle-clicking (or Command-clicking, for you relics with 1 button mice!) the desired menu item. EG: I have multiple tabs open, and want to open NYTimes.com in a new tab. So I click Favorites bar -> News -> and then middle-click NYTimes.com.

• Safari also should have better pipeling and keeping connections open so as to bring it up to speed with Mozilla. I see no reason why Safari cannot surpass Mozilla in terms of speed given its smaller size and optimisation for PPC.

• Dock icon status bars. Like Toast 5+ has, when you are burning a CD: it shows a little status bar showing the burn's progress grafted to the bottom of the Toast icon. Brilliant. You can tell at a glance how much longer you will have to wait, and can doing so with Toast hidden, while surfing with Safari and it's ultrafast pipeling and open connections Apple finally implemented "Hmmm... about 3 mins I'd say..."

So any window with a progress bar, when minimized, would have a miniature progress bar attached to it. Camino Downloads are a random eg.

• Infinitely faster Finder networking, and seperate threads for each networking instance, so you can open a new finder window while connecting via FTP. Also FTP uploading, but that's obvious.

I'm not sure I like the Finder FTP, and how Safari uses it instead of rendering a directory listing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    The progress bar thing is an application specific setting, I believe. So that's up to the application writer and not the OS.

I'd like WebCore to be able to preview live data. I mean, if I'm doing a dynamic php/mysql driven site, I'd like to be able to type in the file name and get the data previewed as it would look live. This isn't so much a Safari request, but for other apps that use the WebCore framework (like SubEthaEdit) so that when I preview my page there, I get the page as it would look to a user when served through my webserver. This may require changes in Apache, so I don't know that it's doable.

I'd also like FUS to be an icon. I know who I am and I don't need my whole name displayed in the menu bar. I'm not stupid.

I'd like the finder to actually work well for a change. Reliability with networking is key. I'd like it to remember my settings for specific windows. I hate getting my window size/position all screwed up after having meticulously set it. I guess I want a spatial finder. :/ But not all that other crap Siricusa drones on about...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:

Opening Safari's Downloads window in a tab.

Why take something that's nice and simple and super-size it by adding it into the main window?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    [deleted, misunderstood a post]

Quote:

The ability to open Favorites bar menu items in a new tab by opening the menu, and then middle-clicking (or Command-clicking, for you relics with 1 button mice!) the desired menu item. EG: I have multiple tabs open, and want to open NYTimes.com in a new tab. So I click Favorites bar -> News -> and then middle-click NYTimes.com.

This isn't a perfect solution, but if you enable "auto-tab" for the particular bookmarks bar menu you want, you can command-click to bring up the menu, then the selected bookmark will open in a new tab. Normal clicking, though, will of course open all menu items in separate tabs (killing all tabs that were present before clicking!). You have to option-click the menu to simply bring up the menu and open the bookmark in the current tab.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Why take something that's nice and simple and super-size it by adding it into the main window?

People just don't understand window management any longer.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

People just don't understand window management any longer.

Yeah, reminds me of Windows users chatting on MSN with maximized chat windows.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ?A application switcher (cmd-tab) that displays live updating just like in the dock...if AIM is flashing "IM" then I want to see that...minor annoyance.

?FTP uploading of course

?More Energy Saver options

?In connect to server (cmd-k) I think it should be like 10.2 where it shows you local networks, and rendezvous networks

All minor quibbles I know but the kind of refinements I like
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

?A application switcher (cmd-tab) that displays live updating just like in the dock...if AIM is flashing "IM" then I want to see that...minor annoyance.

I think cmd+tab does this already. If you've got mail, it'll show the little badge, if not, there isn't one. Is that what you're asking?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I am still hoping that Apple will bring back Window Shading. I know Window Shading is so OS 9ish but I still think it is better than minimizing windows to the dock and I don't think I should have to pay for a Third-Party app to do it.

I also miss the the Tabbed Window feature of OS 9. Why couldn't they allow you to put window tabs on the sides of the desktop (that is if your dock is at the bottom, if your dock is on the side then just let you put tabs on one side and the bottom or wherever the dock isn't).

I think OS X is leaps and bounds ahead of OS 9 (which I don't even much anymore) but I think that Apple shouldn't overlook all of OS 9's features.

Of course a more responsive Finder would also be on my list.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Someday Windowshades will come back. They are for different purposes then Minimizing. They are to check something underneath the window fast, then unWindowshade it and continue work.

Safari NEEDS to be able to UNDO typing in the Edit menu, and also needs to be able to Bookmark All Open Tabs in to a folder of your choice or something.

Other nice things would be a Finder that can upload FTP and a Finder that doesn't suck at networking. But I'm sure that will be in 10.4 at the latest.

A better system wide GUI might be nice too. Either settle for Metal or Aqua, sheesh. I personally think they both have flaws but at least there's only one current version of Aqua whereas Metal changes every month.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

?FTP uploading of course

?More Energy Saver options

?In connect to server (cmd-k) I think it should be like 10.2 where it shows you local networks, and rendezvous networks

All minor quibbles I know but the kind of refinements I like

well i think the feature of showing all available workgroups, servers etc. is moved to the finder.. there you got the same possibilities beneath the network icon.. works quite fine.. the only problem is that windows servers are unejectable from the finder.. but that will be hopefully fixed in 10.3.2 )
  • Reply 11 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Someday Windowshades will come back. They are for different purposes then Minimizing. They are to check something underneath the window fast, then unWindowshade it and continue work.

Exposé does this with infinitely more elegance and ease. Before Exposé, I might have wanted it, but it's pretty much moot now, in my opinion.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'd like to be able to dock finder windows.

In most projects I've got multiple folders of source files, resaved files, capture files, rendered files, PSD files, pict files, test files, etc. And most of the time I've got nearly all of these windows open at the same time, with different viewing options (nice big icons for the PSD/pict files, list views for source files...). While Exposé has helped immensely, what I'd really like is to just have 1 window with tabs across the top so I can switch between folders with ease.

Much like the older window tabs in OS9, just not in a row at the bottom of my screens.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    709 that's exactly what I said here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ht=Finder+Tabs

It would seem so obvious especially with Safari having been out for a year.

Also I have to add to my previous post that Safari should also be able to open PDF natively. If OS X has a great PDF framework, supposedly better then Adobe's own reader, why doesn't Apple let Safari use it, so instead of the current PDF Plug In I'm using I can have Preview which can Search, Highlight text, etc.

Regarding whether you like Tabs: Apple has always been about more then one way to do things. This applies to Epose vs. Windowshades too. It took Steve Jobs and his ego a while to get that people didn't CARE what he thought, that perhaps Copy and Paste had the same functionality as Spring Loaded Folders, they just wanted what they liked back. It's all about personal preference on a Mac, whereas on Windows if you don't do what the Wizard says, oh well.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Faster, faster, faster, faster everything.

I want to be able to self-manage the download manager just like in IE5.

I want right-clickable options, the option to change the file name, URL, remove from the list, etc.

I also want to be able to make it take up less vertical space.

I want to be able to drag tabs in and out of windows.

command keys or special mouse actions would be fine as long as it's not too complex.

Safari should support CSS styles for form elements.

I wanna see cute little colored pop-up selectors in their cute little defined colors, fonts, and sizes when defined.

I want pop-up comment-style title tags like in IE5. but more clever looking

I don't like that it displays the 'title' below on the status bar. It's annoying.

i want to be able to command+click links in my bookmakrs toolbar link folders and have them load in tabs behind my current just like the normal toolbar link buttons can.

I want a less buggy desktop that doesn't move things around when you restart. I shouldn't have to delete my DS_store file a lot.

I want intelligent folder 'types' like the 'image gallery' type folders windows does. But better. I'll let Apple fill in the blanks.

Movie preview icons like windows makes - but better. Badge them with a QT icon, too.

Better anti-aliasing. It can still get better. Better font metrics, better WYSIHTFSL (what you see is how the font should look)

I also want an option between rgbcolor type rendering and greyscale.

(if you notice, type in Panther has multi-colored anti-aliasing)

FontBook needs to be faster, more stable, and BETTER.

And Apple needs to force developer to use it when it is. Or make it easier for them to use.

I want organized font lists like I make in all my apps!

Stupid Macromedia.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

I want to be able to self-manage the download manager just like in IE5.

Yes.

Technically Safari really isn't OS X though. I like how Apple is keeping its apps separate from its OS unlike a particular other company...I love it when people call Apple a monopoly.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    One comes to mind:

-Paste w/o formatting

not having this bugs the crap out of me.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Dynamic CPU scaling. Just reinstalled gentoo after a multi-month hiatus on linux. I am using something called cpudynd to dynamically scale my cpu core frequency depending on the workload of the cpu.

EG: Idle, I run at 667mhz. Because I am idle I can't possibly notice this. Then, when the load goes above a certain percentage of the processors ability at 667mhz, it jumps to 867mhz (my max freq) and stays there until cpu load drops below 90% of maximum. It does this on the fly, and it's really cool. When you need the power it's there. When you don't need the power it's gone, giving better energy efficiency. G5s have this already, I believe.

It scales depending on: Battery/AC, watching a DVD, battery percentage, cpuload. Neato.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    OS X can already scale processor frequency and voltage both in response to demand, as well as shut down unneeded banks of RAM, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I think cmd+tab does this already. If you've got mail, it'll show the little badge, if not, there isn't one. Is that what you're asking?

Not exactly, if the IM message icon is fading in an out and you do cmd-tab it takes a snapshot of it and you switch between that, so you dont see it fading in an out anymore in the application switcher. Same goes from progress bars I'm pretty sure.