iPod discharges on cradle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If I leave my iPod on its cradle overnight with my computer off, it completely discharges. Is this normal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yes, sort of.

Your iPod will not charge when connected to a Mac that is Off (nor asleep) since it cuts the power to the Firewire device. IPod's drain battery power all the time (even when "off") and will completely lose their charge even without use over a few days.

It really shouldn't drain your battery completely overnight, however, (unless your iPod is on for some reason).

Try setting your Preferences to put your Display and HD to sleep, but to leave the Mac 'running' through the night so that your iPod still charges.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It must be because the iPod doesn't switch off when the mac shuts down, but I thought there was an auto shut-off if it wasn't being used for a certain time. In fact, when I shut down, the 'do not disconnect' screen stays on instead of unmounting and going to the menu.

Is there a setting I've missed?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

It must be because the iPod doesn't switch off when the mac shuts down, but I thought there was an auto shut-off if it wasn't being used for a certain time. In fact, when I shut down, the 'do not disconnect' screen stays on instead of unmounting and going to the menu.

Is there a setting I've missed?

iPods don't turn off. They are always on. It is perfectly normal, and ok, for the iPod to remain at the "Do Not Disconnect" screen while connected to a computer. The "auto shutoff" is a kind of sleep function. It merely stops displaying info on the screen, to save a little battery, when it's freeballing. As long as it's plugged into a computer (and the computer is on) it will charge, so don't worry about it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    no, the problem is it stays on when the computer shuts off, and then drains. If I forget to take it off the cradle, I have a dead iPod in the morning.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Your iPod discharges on the cradle? Eewwwww...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    what happens to you guys if you leave it plugged in with the computer off overnight?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

what happens to you guys if you leave it plugged in with the computer off overnight?

My iPod fall down go boom. It's annoying, but I'm learning to deal with it. It's worth the hassle.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Sorry, I should've mentioned before:

Your iPod will stay on (not go to sleep automatically) when connected to the dock because it "thinks" it's actively communicating with the Mac. The best thing to do is this...

1. Set your Mac to never sleep, but make sure the HD and Monitor turn off (which saves you $ on power and prevents unnecessary wear and tear).

2. Before settling in for a long winter's nap (bedtime), connect your iPod to the dock.

3. Let it update your Music (if needed).

4. Unmount the iPod by dragging it to the trash. Close iTunes.

5. Leave the iPod connected and sleep soundly.

You'll notice that after the iPod is unmounted the "Do Not Disconnect" message goes away in favor of a "Charging" indicator. This will allow the iPod to auto-power off and will prevent the iPod's HD from spinning all night (not good for the life of your precious). The iPod should charge overnight and be ready to simply disconnect and go in the AM. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yes, that works - but it would be nice if the drive unmounted automatically when you shut down.