I have a DEAD pixel!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OMG I only had this 12" powerbook for 2 weeks, and I can see a dead pixel! what should I do? is there any way to remove it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

OMG I only had this 12" powerbook for 2 weeks, and I can see a dead pixel! what should I do? is there any way to remove it?

Edit: Okay that was mean. Seriously though, dead pixels happen. It's just a downside to LCDs. From what I've heard, you need like 5 or 6 to get Apple (or any manufacturer) to replace them, because that's the way all consumer LCDs are right now - they may have dead/stuck pixels. If you'd rather pay ten times the amount for an LCD that is guaranteed to not have dead pixels, that's your choice, but right now the industry isn't advanced enough to make that shift for the same price.

If you really want to try and get rid of it, you may try gently rubbing or massaging it with a cloth... that rarely works with dead ones though.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    if it is a stuck pixel, gently rub it with your finger in a circular motion

if it is a dead pixel, gently learn to ignore it

g
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Make a desktop patter with several hundred like-colored specs.

EMBRACE YOUR DEAD PIXEL. IT MAKES YOUR POWERBOOK UNIQUE.

or whatever.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ack, while on the phone with apple support, another pixel appeared... is this normal? we tried resetting the screen and everything... I'm starting to think another dead pixel is about to form.

It's not the only thing wrong I discovered, the trackpad randomly moves around even when my fingers aren't on it. the powerbook is also uneven, if I touch the corner, the whole thing rocks.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Trackpad problem - set it to ignore while typing.

Rocking problem - welcome to the club. Ignore it, bend it, or shim it with a folded Post-It.

Pixels - ignore them.

• Reply 6 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

ack, while on the phone with apple support, another pixel appeared... is this normal? we tried resetting the screen and everything... I'm starting to think another dead pixel is about to form.

It's not the only thing wrong I discovered, the trackpad randomly moves around even when my fingers aren't on it. the powerbook is also uneven, if I touch the corner, the whole thing rocks.

They're multiplying! Aaaaiiie! Run for your lives!

I thought I had four dead 'uns, but after rubbing them gently with a slightly damp Kleenex, they dissapeared. Sometimes people mistake harmless spots of dust for dead pixels, because the dust refracts the light in such a way that it makes it seem slightly iridescent.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nah, they are dead, not dust. I tried rubbing it with a cloth, still there... pretty horrible experience for my first Mac... maybe I'll go back to pc...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

nah, they are dead, not dust. I tried rubbing it with a cloth, still there... pretty horrible experience for my first Mac... maybe I'll go back to pc...

It's a problem across all manufacturers. Not just Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

HA HA HA. funniest quote of the week.

luckily, PC's don't have dead pixels like Mac's don't have viruses.

it's a tough call to make.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    THere's no ground of logic whatsoever for assuming that you'll get a better FP monitor for a PC. Look at Dell's crap.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    hmm... maybe I'll just use the display less... would that prevent more dead pixels from forming? using the apple video to VGA adaptor? Is there a way to set it so that the screen is off on the computer, goes through the monitor and yet I can still use the keyboard built in?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think I have at least 3 dead pixels on the LCD monitor I'm using right now. I don't even know where they are anymore. I'd have to use one of those programs that blanks the screen and changes colors to even find them. It just doesn't bother me I guess.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    o well, I don't really notice them anymore. And isn't a chance that they might come back?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

hmm... maybe I'll just use the display less... would that prevent more dead pixels from forming? using the apple video to VGA adaptor? Is there a way to set it so that the screen is off on the computer, goes through the monitor and yet I can still use the keyboard built in?

So you bought that computer just to not use the display? Seems like a big waste of money to me. Dead pixels will happen, you won't notice them after a while. Sorry it happened, but that's life. Whatever you do, do not, I repeat, DO NOT go back to a PeeCee.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    In theory, new formations of dead or stuck pixels will not form. it is a manufacturing defect, not a side effect of prolonged use.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    o well, not much I can do. Though I can go to their store and complain about the wobblyness, the apple support said I can, and they might even give me a new powerbook just because it wobbles Besides, it already has a name, La Manzanita (the little apple)