New site coming soon...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't want to have a shameless plug but I think this is something that a lot of you guys might be into.

<shameless plug>

In a recent discussion on the forums, satchmo brought up a tag line that instantly clicked with me...

Apple Is...

Part of what I do is develop websites. I thought, well if Apple isn't going to do something like this, I will.

The premise of Apple-Is.com is to show people, pc users mostly but mac users as well, why the Mac is in most cases a better platform. It isn't the end all of platforms, but for many consumers, it is the perfect platform.

There will be a lot to the site. There will be streaming videos of OS X being used, the iApps being used, cool utilities that you can't live without, and a lot more. Essentially I want to show people that moving from Windows to the Mac isn't as threatening as some people think it is. Also I want to enlighten those that have switched cool little things that they might not know about.

I know that there are a lot of helpful sites covering the Mac platform and this isn't there to replace them. It is there to enlighten the computing community of the alternative to Windows.

If anyone has suggestions as to what they would like to see on the site or if you would like to help out please feel free to email [email protected]

</shameless plug>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Thats an awesome idea. I hope it catches on. Keep us updated on the progress of the site. I'm excited
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Hey, that sounds great.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Cool, sounds like a great idea. I"ll have to bring it up to some of my "Windows" friends when the sites up.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Neat idea...too bad Apple themselves aren't in any hurry to do it.

Whatever you do, please include this somewhere: a plain-spoken and STRONG "myth debunking" section so people will finally stop thinking Apple is going out of business, Macs are just toys, Microsoft owns Apple, you can't use Office on a Mac, Macs are only "for graphics", etc.

THOSE are the things that I hear all the time from people. And those are the things, I'm convinced, that is doing the most to hold Apple back a bit in the eyes of many.

Anyone believing any of the above crap isn't going to buy a Mac, no matter how cool iTunes is or how pretty the screen is or how stable OS X is.

"Apple is...none of the following:" might be a nice title/header for that section.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Cool, sounds like a great idea. I"ll have to bring it up to some of my "Windows" friends when the sites up.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tip: don't use ANY colors on the webpage!

there are still people that think apple only make "fruit colored" computers.

gotta debunk that one!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Place pictures of the products around in various places. I know a lot of people who still think that the iBook comes in Blueberry, and the G3 is blue and white.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by DudeCube

and the G3 is still available.

fixed it for you
  • Reply 9 of 16
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm a recent switcher so I have some suggestions.

Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Friends don't let friends use Windows.

A great slogan for us, but I would keep the anti-windows jokes off of the site. People aren't going to be interested in Apple if they never read the site because they feel it's just a Windows bash-fest. Mentioning Windows and referenceing it is fine, after all, for many, it's their only frame of reference, but keep the tone and wording non-offensive. In many cases, you can avoid mentioning Windows entirely. For instance say "Mac OS X has NO viruses, so there's no worrying about/paying for anti-virus updates," instead of "Windows has tons of new viruses every day." Windows does have tons of new viruses every day, but anyone with a Windows computer already knows this, they have a little word balloon on their task bar that reminds them constantly, or if they're pre-XP their computer just dies.

Another subtle way to highlight OS X's superiority is to have a "how to" section. How to move a file, how to burn a mix CD, how to set up a home network, etc." Have how to do it in Windows right next to how to do it in X. This way, people will see that the list of instructions for Windows is longer and more complicated in almost every case. This is much better than just saying "Macs are easier to use," and the potential switcher can see for themselves rather than having to take our word for it.

Price is a major hang up for most people, so in your myth-debunking section you might want to disect the advertised prices of some major PC makers, pointing out that the price doesn't include monitor and is only with a certain kind of rebate, etc. Also point out that Apple doesn't really try to compete with the other companies bottom 'o the barrel stuff and that comparably equipped Dells and Compaqs are actually much closer in price. The downside of this is that it'll have to be updated frequently, but I think it's worth it.

I have more, but I must go and learn some Biology.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

tip: don't use ANY colors on the webpage!

there are still people that think apple only make "fruit colored" computers.

THEY DON'T?!?!?!? I must be out of the loop!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

I don't want to have a shameless plug but I think this is something that a lot of you guys might be into.

<shameless plug>

In a recent discussion on the forums, satchmo brought up a tag line that instantly clicked with me...

Apple Is...

Part of what I do is develop websites. I thought, well if Apple isn't going to do something like this, I will.

The premise of Apple-Is.com is to show people, pc users mostly but mac users as well, why the Mac is in most cases a better platform. It isn't the end all of platforms, but for many consumers, it is the perfect platform.

There will be a lot to the site. There will be streaming videos of OS X being used, the iApps being used, cool utilities that you can't live without, and a lot more. Essentially I want to show people that moving from Windows to the Mac isn't as threatening as some people think it is. Also I want to enlighten those that have switched cool little things that they might not know about.

I know that there are a lot of helpful sites covering the Mac platform and this isn't there to replace them. It is there to enlighten the computing community of the alternative to Windows.

If anyone has suggestions as to what they would like to see on the site or if you would like to help out please feel free to email [email protected]

</shameless plug>

That is awsome!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    THEY DON'T?!?!?!? I must be out of the loop! [/QUOTE]

Yeah, out of the Fruit Loop!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by gorebug

THEY DON'T?!?!?!? I must be out of the loop!

Yeah, out of the Fruit Loop!
    [/QUOTE]

Wait.... does that mean we're in the Fruit Loop?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I'm a recent switcher so I have some suggestions.

[...] I would keep the anti-windows jokes off of the site. People aren't going to be interested in Apple if they never read the site because they feel it's just a Windows bash-fest. Mentioning Windows and referenceing it is fine, after all, for many, it's their only frame of reference, but keep the tone and wording non-offensive. In many cases, you can avoid mentioning Windows entirely. For instance say "Mac OS X has NO viruses, so there's no worrying about/paying for anti-virus updates," instead of "Windows has tons of new viruses every day." Windows does have tons of new viruses every day, but anyone with a Windows computer already knows this, they have a little word balloon on their task bar that reminds them constantly, or if they're pre-XP their computer just dies.

Good advice. Good post.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know, if done right this would be a very, very nice site. Very cool and useful and I think it's a great idea, the more I think about it.

Lots of good suggestions above too!

And yes, I agree: keep the Scott Kelby-esque PC-bashing off.

While we certainly dig it at times, it can be off-putting and unnecessarily divisive and would establish - right up front - an obnoxious "us vs. you" tone which might sink an otherwise cool, well-thought-out site. Not good.

Just my 2 pennies...

And I also LOVE the suggestion above about actually showing (or, rather, telling) about how certain, everyday tasks are done on a Mac in OS X (burning a CD being a great example).

Anticipate all those questions and concerns PC users (non Mac people) are going to have, considering a new platform and all...real life, "meat and potatos" stuff that they might be curious about!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    HEY GUYS!!

Thanks for the support. Right now I am in the process of some rough designs and conceptualizing it. It is a slightly massive project! The suggestions people have given in this thread have been great! They have made me rethink even what I had planned. Keep them coming!!

Again if anyone is willing to help out, for no pay obviously but with some cool perks that I have planned, please email [email protected]

Thanks again for the great response!