Need help with sharing, symbolic links

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK. I don't have OS X server. . .

I do the marketing documents for the little startup I'm in, and there are two kinds of users: sales, and tech. We've found that it's really much better to keep the sales guys out of the tech docs, so on the server I have two users (named "sales" and "tech").

But there is one very large folder of stuff that both need to have. I dumped that into the Shared folder, and put symbolic links to Shared in the two user folders. The problem is that when one of them logs in, they can't get through the symbolic link.

How do I fix this? I think it has to do with the fact that the Shared folder is up a level in the tree structure, because it works fine when I log in from the admin account and can sort through the whole drive.

Thanks

Follow up:

The problem seems to be that on the computer accessing the share teh symbolic link seems to point to items with the directory structure on the client machine. So when the shared, network link links to /Users/Shared/ it looks for that folder on the client machine. Need to fix that somehow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Couldn't you make the symbolic link somewhat like 'afp://machinename/users/shared/' ? (afp = apple file sharing protocol)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I don't think a unix symbolic softlink can be used via an afp share. If you NFS mount the drive then this will work.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Technically I'm creating these links via "ln -s" on the command line, and by default they're supposed to be hard links. I'm not sure how I'm mounting the drive. . . it's certainly not appletalk though. Whatever the network icon in the Finder uses. perhaps rendezvous, I'm not even sure about that detail.

There are ways to get around these problems on a mac-only environment: just put it in your public folder. Unfortunately, most of the people who need these files are accessing via Windows SMB. Annoying. If I count somehow create a mountpoint on the users folder, that would be OK too, and I could just change the access levels on all the user folders to fit. (Already done)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If your doing a ln -s then the SMB mounts will translate this.

I think the AFP doesn't work on my end cos we us an OPI AFP.

I have the following dir /Volume/ABC which has sub dirs of 123 and xyz and I smb share /Volume/ABC/xyz. I can now do a ln -s ../123 123 in the xyz subdir, I will now be able to click on the 123 softlink in the xyz dir and go to the /Volume/ABC/123 dir even though you only have the /Volume/ABC/xyz dir mounted.

So, this should work in your scenario and the SMB translated the softlink.

Dobby.