Fax in Panther gave me problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wonder if any of you have similar problems.

I was using Faxstf X to receive and send fax under Jaguar.

I just updated to Panther and found out that the fax function was run by Apple's own program now. But it seemed that the old fax files that I saved under FAXstf X could not be viewed anymore. I could open the Fax Browser but couldn't see any contents from the fax files, even though they were shown in the inbox.

I was using version 10.0.8 under Jaguar and I updated it to version 10.1.4 and it still gives me problems.

By the way, for sending and receiving fax under Panther, is the Apple way is the only way to do it??

Since I was not able to add Fax Print using the Print Center anymore in Panther.

Anybody knows of such problem??

Thanks,

gc63hk

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gc63hk

I was using version 10.0.8 under Jaguar and I updated it to version 10.1.4 and it still gives me problems.

There'll be probably be incompatibility between Faxstf and Panther. Have you contacted Faxstf? Do they mention anything about Panther compatibility? You can make the safe assumption that, because Apple reworked the print center so drastically (to include fax functionality, a.o.) that applications that rely heavily on that print center are likely to be broken.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gc63hk

I wonder if any of you have similar problems.

I was using Faxstf X to receive and send fax under Jaguar.

I just updated to Panther and found out that the fax function was run by Apple's own program now. But it seemed that the old fax files that I saved under FAXstf X could not be viewed anymore. I could open the Fax Browser but couldn't see any contents from the fax files, even though they were shown in the inbox.

By the way, for sending and receiving fax under Panther, is the Apple way is the only way to do it??

Since I was not able to add Fax Print using the Print Center anymore in Panther.

Anybody knows of such problem??

Thanks,

gc63hk

I am not entirely sure that your problem is a FAXstf problem. At any rate, Smith-Micro has upgraded FAXstf to 10.5. You might take a look at it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I am not entirely sure that your problem is a FAXstf problem. At any rate, Smith-Micro has upgraded FAXstf to 10.5. You might take a look at it.

Thanks guys,

I have a temp. workaround, I copied the files from the inbox of the iMac to the iBook that I have which is running Jaguar, so I can read all the old faxes.

The iMac, which we used to receive faxes, is using the fax feather under Panther now.

Since Apple provides the fax feather instead of relying on SmithMirco, we got this disruption in return.

Thanks,

gc63hk