My ass backwards state finally did something right

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,26...w=wn_tophead_1

California will require paper receipts for all evoting machines to be collected at the polls to provide a paper trail for auditing purposes. Too bad it's not mandatory until 2006. Ack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Paper's always been a secure method of record keeping.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I just listened to some reports from the Georgian election. One told about a situation where someone at the end of the election day came in with a handful of prefilled ballot paper and stuffed them in the box. Another told that while they were counting the ballots in a district where the opposition looked like winning suddenly the light went out for ten seconds and when it was turned on there was double the amount on the table that had been there seconds before. So in essence your right in your sarcastic comment Scott.

But what if someone wanted and had the means to alter an strictly non paper election? Then it would go unnoticed. A "delete file" command doesn´t involve the storming into election places and burning ballot papers and a "add 500 votes to party X list" doesn´t involve smuggling in prefilled ballots, turning off lights and the sudden appearance of more votes.

And even if you found the 100% secure non paper voting method it would still be bad if people felt insecurity with the method.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    After posting I had the thought that the could encrypt the vote with a time stamp and the machine that was used complete with checksum. Save it in a bar code or maybe burn it in to mylar or something like that.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,26...w=wn_tophead_1

.......California will require paper receipts for all evoting machines to be collected at the polls to provide a paper trail for auditing purposes.......

See...they must have read your previous post on the topic...

Keep up the pressure BR and who knows, you might sway Congress to fall into to line .
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    http://www.unprecedented.org/

And Florida still hasn't fixed its problems.

By the way... the justice department still hasn't looked into the illegal purging of voter rolls in Fla.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Total Election Security With Magic Gnomes Guarding Results Burned Into Platinum Discs > Paper Trail > No Paper Trail.

Simple mathematical terms that a simple mathematical man can understand.

Indy Car style total breaking apart of the car to absorb the force of impact with full restraints and wraparound airbags > Side Curtain Airbags and Steering wheel Airbags > Steering wheel Airbags > No Airbags

Are steering wheel airbags absolute security in an accident? No.

Are they better than no airbags? Yes.

Come on Scott.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Anyone who has followed the Diebold debacle, would surely want a paper record of their vote.

A plain-English record, with some form of encrypted checksum printed on it, is not 100% resolution to the problem. It is, however, a layer of redundancy that would not hurt.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Anyone who has followed the Diebold debacle, would surely want a paper record of their vote.

A plain-English record, with some form of encrypted checksum printed on it, is not 100% resolution to the problem. It is, however, a layer of redundancy that would not hurt.

We don't get that now. When I punch my butterfly ballot and drop it in the box there's no other record of it.

This leads toward the whole notion of second chance voting and contingency ballots. Which is for the more part a bad idea. There never has been and never will be a perfect election. And perfection is never the standard.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I dunno BR. I think a more accurate statement would be "California finally did something that is sufficiently not-fekked-up, such that it is approaching the realm of the correct."

Of course, that's kind of wordy.

• Reply 10 of 14
    Well the only good thing about the old system with no paper trail is that when people vote for the "sad excuse for good leadership" one could at least hold out hope that the election was fixed. Now with a paper trail when the "sad excuse for good leadership" gets elected you know your fellow CA'ians voted fot the sad excuse. I am not sure which is more depressing.

Fellows
  • Reply 11 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Well the only good thing about the old system with no paper trail is that when people vote for the "sad excuse for good leadership" one could at least hold out hope that the election was fixed. Now with a paper trail when the "sad excuse for good leadership" gets elected you know your fellow CA'ians voted fot the sad excuse. I am not sure which is more depressing.

Fellows

Now now, Fellows, you know how it rankles you when we rag on Texas (not that i disagree ).
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Now now, Fellows, you know how it rankles you when we rag on Texas (not that i disagree ).

CA is not the only state that can have this

These days it is pretty depressing no matter who wins any election period

Would you almost not agree?

Fellows
  • Reply 13 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

CA is not the only state that can have this

These days it is pretty depressing no matter who wins any election period

Would you almost not agree?

Fellows

In this, my friend, we are in complete accordance.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    A paper trail is necessary because the courts are letting the companies that write the software that run the electronic voting booths keep their software secret because they're a 'trade secret.' I'm not sure why addition is a trade secret, or an open source version isn't used instead, but our elections should not be hidden in an electronic box. It's a sad state of affairs.