dropped ibook lid won't stay closed, ? broken latch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My latch is broken. The ibook took a very small fall and the latch that holds the lid closed broke. I can see a little piece of metal floating about. Anyway, I bought a latch off of ebay for a dual usb ibook(which is what I have). How does one go about installing this? Will the Åpple store do this? I am not afraid to open up the ibook but would like some direction. Thanks,

Terry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If your messing with a latch I would take it to an Apple store and have them do it for you. It shouldn't take long for them to do it especially if you have the latch already. Opening it and trying to install a non "user installable part" may void any warranty you have left on it. Even if you aren't afraid to open up your iBook, I wouldn't if I were you.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    squidthingsquidthing Posts: 124member
    I am having this same problem, although I don't think my iBook has been physically damaged in any way. The lid will not lock shut unless I use something to push the latch button back out with first, it seems that the spring is jammed or broken. Is there any way I can fix this myself? or preferably a place I can take my iBook to have this fixed near London, UK? I can put up with this problem for a little while, but don't really want to send the iBook away as I will be needing to use it very often at the moment, and I don't have a way of backing up my files quite yet.

Andrew