can i change license numbers for mac osx?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok, i have this sorta strange problem. a friend of mine bought panther. then the people in his house (he shares a house with a bunch of people) bought a multi-user license of panther. they've agreed to sell me one of the licenses, but they want a little switcheroo to take place. they want my friend (who lives in the house) to take one of the multi-user licenses, and me (who does not live in the house) to take his license that he already bought as a single-user. however, he's already installed panther on his computer. how do we go about this? can he change the license number on his machine and then i install with his disks and use his old number? is this even possible?

thanks so much!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryuu

ok, i have this sorta strange problem. a friend of mine bought panther. then the people in his house (he shares a house with a bunch of people) bought a multi-user license of panther. they've agreed to sell me one of the licenses, but they want a little switcheroo to take place. they want my friend (who lives in the house) to take one of the multi-user licenses, and me (who does not live in the house) to take his license that he already bought as a single-user. however, he's already installed panther on his computer. how do we go about this? can he change the license number on his machine and then i install with his disks and use his old number? is this even possible?

thanks so much!

Just install panther..it doesn't ask for a license number..you could install it on a hundred machines (which would be illegal) and it would work.

This aint windows
  • Reply 2 of 6
    even in the windows world you can still get away with using the same licnce number (with most apps) as long as you cover your licences with your paperwork.

Just get him to give you the box / books / disks and software coupons for the stand alone licence. (You may also want his purchase recipt, obviously he might want to block out any CC numbers on it)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    There is no license number attached to any particular installation of OS X. There's nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

There is no license number attached to any particular installation of OS X.

For the record: that is not true. All Server versions of OS X that I have known (10.1, 10.2 & now 10.3) require serialization.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    oh, duh. i feel silly now, but my friend was making such a big deal about it. thanks guys! i appreciate all the responses!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

For the record: that is not true. All Server versions of OS X that I have known (10.1, 10.2 & now 10.3) require serialization.

Sorry, I should have been more specific with my post. I meant there is no serialization for client versions of OSX. Since the original post was about the family pack issue, it has to be that he was also talking about the client version. So, the serialization of OSX server is a moot point.