15" or 17" Powerbook? Which would you buy and why?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking for friendly adivce on the pro's and con's of buying either the 15" or 17" Powerbook. Thanks.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I can only relate my situation: I went with the 15" mostly because the size of it simply appealed to me most, compared to the 12" and 17". A definite case of "not too little, not too big". It was - in every way - a definite step up from what I had, so I was happy to get the 15" SuperDrive model.

No regrets whatsoever not going with the 17".

Mine has all the specs/features/IO of the 17", just in a slightly smaller, tighter package that simply "feels right" to me. It's a personal, subjective thing, I realize, so everyone's outlook is going to vary I'm sure.

But overall size/comfort/lugability was my biggest factor.

Second to all the above was price: going with the 15" instead of the 17" (even though I had the money to get the 17") simply meant $400 left over for AirPort, a nice sleeve, a mouse, an extra power supply, etc.

I simply didn't find another 108MHz and a slightly larger screen/resolution worth $400. Still don't, but that's me.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The only advantage of the 17 inch is the size of the screen. I must admit it's great to watch video on a 17 incher.

If you don't need a such huge screen, then the 15 inch is for you. If you are interested by video, or music audio, then you should consider the 17 inch.

Both are good products anyway
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion.

Moving now.

And for my two cents on this issue, I'd say go for the 15". I've seen them both in person and I think the 17" is too big for comfort. I wouldn't mind that the 15" is 80 MHz slower since I'd save US$400 and have a more usable laptop computer.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Well, I can only compare the 12" to the 17", but I would definitely advise you to go for the 15".

I got the 12", and I adore it. It's compact, cute, and endlessly useful to a college girl.

My dad, on the other hand, got the 17". It's not a laptop, no - it's a lap monster. I mean, it's a wonderful computer, but it's only great to have it sit on one desk and use it from there. Picking it up and taking it to a coffee shop or porting it between office and home proves to be a problem with such a big computer.

When in doubt, go for the smaller, lighter computer. You are buying a laptop after all, and those are all about portability.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I have a 17"

I originally wanted a 15", but settled for the 17" because I couldnt wait any longer

I use it in bed, on a desk on the couch, and carry it to work with me every morning and home every night.

It is NOT too big or uncomfortably large. I agree that the 15" is a more portable computer, but both the 15" and the 17" are still very portable.

I have a friend who just bought the 15" and I am sooo glad I bought the 17", the extra screen space, whilst unneccesary for me, is awesome.

I would never consider the 15" if I had to make the decision again.

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    It really depends on what you plan on using it for. While I agree that the 15" does feel a bit more like a 'portable', I ended up going for the 17" because I work in compositing video, and every bit of screen counts for me.

BTW, if you plan on adding more RAM to the 15" later, you're going to have to pony up an extra $100 to have Apple configure the 512 as 1 stick instead of the stock 2 256s. That brings the price to a mere $300 difference. In my case, the extra pixels were worth the 300 bucks.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If you are doing video and do presentation in front of your clients, a 17 incher will surely impress them
  • Reply 8 of 12
    My aluminum 15" should arrive tomorrow 8)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by drxcm

I have a 17"

I originally wanted a 15", but settled for the 17" because I couldnt wait any longer

I use it in bed, on a desk on the couch, and carry it to work with me every morning and home every night.

It is NOT too big or uncomfortably large. I agree that the 15" is a more portable computer, but both the 15" and the 17" are still very portable.

I have a friend who just bought the 15" and I am sooo glad I bought the 17", the extra screen space, whilst unneccesary for me, is awesome.

I would never consider the 15" if I had to make the decision again.

Hope that helps!

I have a 17", too. It is not to big. Just right. That's just me, everyone is different. When someone asks me waht to get i say "hey, it's going to be yours, i don't care, geet what you want, don't get what you don't want." 8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I almost puchased 15" but ever since the 17" came out, it just called to me. So I bought the 17" sight unseen(live in too rural of an area for the local computer stores to carry many examples for showing). I bought the day apple updated all three labtops. Anyway, love the screen for video-think dvd in widescreen, it's perfect(plus creature speakers). Playing sim city, I get more game screen area. Other thing I like is that I can place two pages side by side, i.e. two web pages, two documents that I'm working on in microsoft office. And small thing, but I don't worry about turning dock hiding on or off to save screen space. Downside, I think anyway, to me it's more of a portable desktop computer than a true labtop. Hard to lug around a lot. Although that might change when I can purchase a good carrying case and slip cover. Higher price also has to be considered, especeially if you want to get anything else to go with it. My long two cents anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    i had the 15TI before i bought my 17

as great as the 15 was (and i loved it.) it was after all was said and done just a laptop. I mean it was great that i could get work done when i was out. but i still prefered to work on my "real" computer when i got home.

now that i have the 17 i prefer it to my "real" computer in every way. In photoshop i have all of my pallets up. in Word i can see two pages at a time.

my point being that the 17 is a true desktop replacement. When i am at home i do most of my work on the couch. all i need now is an iCurve and a wireless keyboard and mouse and i can throw my G4 tower out the window
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

]all i need now is an iCurve and a wireless keyboard and mouse and i can throw my G4 tower out the window

No, don't throw it out! Give it to someone!