iMac is a rep of the Studio Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just noticed that the eMac is an almost exact copy of the Studio CRT Display apple came out with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    ??? no it isn't.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hitting the crack pipe again?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    !=

unless you meant

but even then it's not very similar

however, that WAS a bitchin CRT
  • Reply 4 of 15
    It's not even close. Different display types.

But is IS about 3 times as fast since installing Panther!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I said, nearly three years ago (before the LCD iMac came to be), that "a new 17" iMac should be based on that cool 17" glass Studio Display!"

I thought the body could be modified a tad to house the guts, but you had a nice 17" with a flat screen and, via that cool mobius strip base, all the tilt-and-swivel a person could want!

The eMac is a bit more "squashed in" from front to back. But basically, it looks A LOT like a white frosted 17" CRT Studio Display! The back portion in particular...

So, in a roundabout way, they kinda did use that basic look for what is by all accounts a 17" iMac (in the jellybean sense of the word).

Pretty damn close, guys:

• Reply 6 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Hey, I'm in front of one of those 17" Studio displays now, and an emac is actually much more similar to an old imac, than it is to this screen. The likeness is mostly due to the flat screen.

However, the emac, should have looked more like the 17" SD.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    IMO, the eMac is a mixture of this 17" Studio Display (the glass one, of course) and a traditional jellybean iMac.

From the sides (as I show above), the two are VERY close: flat screen, a symmetrical "wedge" shape leading to the rear, the same roundness in the back. Heck, even the screw holes on the side! To anyone with a set of peepers, it's pretty obvious how close they are.

Of course, the eMac takes its speaker, optical drive and port placement cues from the old-style iMac.

Basically, if you put a Snow iMac DV and the 17" ADC Studio Display in a blender, the eMac is what you'd have in the end.

• Reply 8 of 15
    lol, sorry everyone, I meant to put eMac instead of iMac.

Edit: on the title that is.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The shape in the back is similar, and for good reason I bet. It's to manage heat and airflow in the back of the tube, though the eMac and gumdrop iMac before it had more heat coming from the computer below than just the tubes themselves. Someone with more industrial design and thermal engineering experience could explain it better. The case shape is simply a reflection of this efficient profile, and of course is an expressive shape too.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

however, that WAS a bitchin CRT

Yea it was. I'm sittin in front of one now. I wanted to get a cinema display with the Cube I bought 3 years ago, but I couldn't afford it. However, I'm extremely happy with the 17". It's an awesome display.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    The crucial difference is not how the casing looks and where the screws are, but the difference in how the video is displayed. The old CRT Studio Display (I have one at home, not at college) is a Trinitron display- meaning that all the pixels are vertical and aligned and crisp. When I first saw the eMac I was disappointed to see that its display looked like the gumdrop iMac display; it has pixels that are in some sort of hexagonal shape or something similar. It makes for a less sharp display I believe. Also of note is that the SD could run at 1600x1200 resolution (got a little too flickery for comfort, but in FCP it was awesome to have 3 monitors with the main having 1600x1200 resolution).
  • Reply 12 of 15
    That's all cool, of course, but I think he was talking about design/outward appearance as opposed to the display technology used. So yes, the casing and screw placement DOES matter, looking at it from the outside look.

I never used one of those cool 17" CRTs, but I think they rank up there with one of the cooler Apple designs. That and a Cube would make a sexy pair.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    The stand on the old CRT SD is a magnificant piece of design. If you place your finger on the edge of the base, you can feel along the edge until you get back where you started. What I mean is, it is twisted such that it never ends. If that makes sense. Look at the picture anove and you'll see what I mean
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

[snip]

I never used one of those cool 17" CRTs, but I think they rank up there with one of the cooler Apple designs. That and a Cube would make a sexy pair.

That they do. Check it out (although this picture doesn't do the pair justice):

Maybe I'll post some beauty shots

Edit: Image issues.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by reed

The stand on the old CRT SD is a magnificant piece of design. If you place your finger on the edge of the base, you can feel along the edge until you get back where you started.

That's what a mobius strip is.