menu bar problems in panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need help here. I just bought a new powermac g4. I was glad it came with panther and I do not need to pay shipping costs to get one.

however, I have some problems with the menu bar. I try to set the sounds, display, clock and international menu on system preferences. however, even though I tick the boxes to display on the menu bar, the icons never appear.

In addition, after I check with the system preferences again, the ticks are gone!!! I wonder if there is some kind of menu lock or something???

Can somebody help me with this? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I would try trashing all files that include "systemUI" in ~/Library/Preferences, then restart the machine.

Worth a shot.

If the problem persists, try creating a new user to see if the same situation occurs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    also delete the caches...

see the faq in the GB
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I tried everything hat are suggested. But none worked...

Does anyone else have a solution?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

I tried everything hat are suggested. But none worked...

Does anyone else have a solution?

You could draw them really small on a post-it note and stick that at the top of your screen?

Seriously though - are you logged in as an Admin?

Is it possibly some sort of permissions thing? My girlfriend has similar problems when she's logged into my computer (and she doesn't have Admin permissions). Have you checked permissions in the Disk Utility?

I don't know if this will help, but it's the only thing I can think of right now... I'm not an expert on OS X by any means... but you never know
  • Reply 6 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Me tried the disk utlilty method... didn't work either..

Btw, I only cleared the caches in my home folder. Is is safe to clear the caches in my HD\\library folder??? Is it worth a shot??