Beta Testing Internet via Satellite service in Europe (for Mac). Need some help

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm currently beta testing some hardware for the use of broadband internet via satellite. We're talking up to 2mbit/sec here.

Until now, nothing could be done for Macs because there were no drivers (from makers like www.hauppauge.co.uk, www.technisat.com, etc). There is a new product which is Ethernet based, and so, is platform independent.

After changing the proxy settings I've gotten the Fast Internet to work perfectly... except for Quicktime. I go to the Apple Trailers site, and it just does NOT work. I tried changing the transport protocol to HTTP port 80, and the two other UDP channels. Nada. Curiously enough, Real Player and Windows Media Player 9 work flawlessly.

I would *imagine* that QuickTime sets its proxies according to what you setup in Network Pref Pane.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS: If anyone wants to help out full time (and has nothing better to do), I can get you involved and get you some free bandwidth and probably one of the ethernet boxes. If you can do some basic programming, that would help too (scripts mostly... Java is a big plus).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Can't I just beta test it without knowledge of Java & Co?

You can set some QT specific preferences in the QT Preferences in the System Preferences Panel. HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I would be interested. Wanna send me the details ??
  • Reply 3 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well, just tried out MacOS 9.2.2 to see if all works well.

Essentially, yes. The ethernet promise saves all.

The weirdest thing is that Quicktime in MacOS 9 works flawlessly. I set the Proxy in the Quicktime app (latest 6.03 for Classic), it autodetected HTTP Port 80, and blammo, downloading trailers in Internet Explorer at wonderful, non dial-up speeds.

Why the $@!*$@ doesn't it work in OSX??????

Also, Apple Mail won't recognize the proxy. At least, I tried with my .Mac mail account (IMAP). It continues to download mail via normal Modem. dammit, anyone know how to make an account or "proxify" Mail?

Entourage has a *wonderful* Proxy preference area. Havent tested it yet, but I know it exists.

Come on Apple... lets not dick people around and force people to wait every year for these kind of updates.

----------------

Regarding beta testing. I've gotten a few requests in Private Messages. I can only eventually get one of these boxes out, sorry. I'm gonna have to select the most serious of you. If you can send me a PM if you're serious about wanting to help, please tell me your "mini cv".

Please realize that you'll have to have a satellite dish, etc. I can get you the bandwidth and the test box.

I'll explain more in private emails.

Others that dont get the hardware, but end up helping can be given future "credits" of free bandwidth via satellite (once this box becomes commercialized and you get one... they're damn cheap... no worries). Or, if you already have a windows box and an above mentioned Hauppauge, Technisat or any DVB Satellite modem (and obviously a correctly pointed dish) will be given free bandwidth as well.

--------------

A LITTLE bot of background: The client application is written in Java so it should be easily portable. All the Java app does is put together different functions and shortcuts to the Windows OS. Like, when you press "Fast Internet" it actually makes a web query to log you in, set the proxies, etc. The LiveTV function is just a listing of gif files and links to Windows Media streams... Anyway... if a Cocoa app wants to be made, or whatnot, it should be pretty straightforward... I just have no clue how to do it myself.

So then... PM me if you're interested or know anyone that is interested in helping out!

ZO