I done did it (and bought me a new mac)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been looking for, or rather, coveting a new computer for months, but was never really serious (except for that time when I was about to build my own pc, which didn't happen). Always a bit strapped for cash anyway. And then the G4 iBooks appear. I'm counting my various accounts and all of the pennies I manage to fish out of dirty pants, putting up my old iBook for sale on the internet - just for laughs. Then I see this post for a spanking new iBook G4 second hand. About 200 euros off of retail price, with proof of purchase and warranty and all that goodness. A 933 MHz. So that's actually about 450 euros off of the base model I was into buying (the 1GHz, which really appears to be only marginally better - hardly worth a 250 euro premium).

So I see that ad in the morning. I email the guy. 20 minutes later I think I wanna buy. So I call the guy. 20 minutes later I think I wanna go pick it up that very day (it's a six hours total train trip - about as far in Belgium as I can go). In short: from innocent and unsuspecting to having a new mac in only ten hours... An impulse buy, no doubt.

Anyway. I'm still installing my stuff, and waiting for an airport extreme card to begin using this puppy for real (my other iBook is sitting behind this one, somewhat grudgingly, routing my airport waves over an ethernet cable into this shiny white iBook). I think I'm quite happy with this machine. I can see it lasting a long while. But, there's this one rubber foot already come off that is kinding of bugging me. I want my stuff impeccable. I'm gonna get it fixed for naught (or so I hope, and so did told me the Dutch AppleCare person on the phone). It just shouldn't happen though. Especially not on a machine as new as this one (purchased 11-17). Well. Some of you will undoubtedly see the point. Other than that. I'm gonna slowly migrate from old to new. Wow this screen is bright. And Quartz Extreme all of a sudden. Games in decent framerates (though I don't play, normally, I just had to witness this machine's performance somehow).

Any questions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Congrats!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

-snip-

Any questions?

Yea. Why is a dog's nose cold?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

Yea. Why is a dog's nose cold?

It's a feature.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Congratulations : i have seen a test of the I book G4 800 mhz : he is pretty faster than the old i book G3 700 : your i book 933 should rock 8)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    awesome machine dude... I am trying to get my dad to buy one for his next machine so I can get him an isight for christmas and then talk to him on it heh. Is the case exactly the same as the last rev of ibooks? I've heard some say it seems tougher or thicker?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

(it's a six hours total train trip - about as far in Belgium as I can go)

Whaddayamean, you didn't get it by bike?

Believe it or not, I had spotted that very same ad ( on advalvas, wasn't it?) and I was very temped aswell....

unfortunately all my cash seems to be flowing away from me lately.

Wasn't that supposed to be the other way around?

Congrats !
  • Reply 7 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Whaddayamean, you didn't get it by bike?

Believe it or not, I had spotted that very same ad ( on advalvas, wasn't it?) and I was very temped aswell....

unfortunately all my cash seems to be flowing away from me lately.

Wasn't that supposed to be the other way around?

Congrats !

It was the advalvas ad. I had to go to Tongeren, of all places. And of course, my bike is still sulking. Nobody likes to be the last to be picked, especially when it's a train they prefer, but then, the price is right-er and the weather (don't shoot me!) and the big box. I just kind of chickened out.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Well, just get your bike back in shape by MacExpo Paris '04 and I won't mention it again