Swap Space in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just looking at my swap space and noticed the rather large change from jaguar to Panther. In Jaguar swap would be added in 80 MB increments as needed, so I would end up with as many as 15 swap files. In panther I notice that the first two are 64 MB each then the next is 128 MB, then 256 MB, the 512 MB. Thats as far as I've gotten/noticed so far. I have a 1GHz/1GB powerbook.

My question is, does anyone know of a write-up of the changes. Was this done to minimize the (very long) time lags that occured when swap was cleaned up in jaguar?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

I was just looking at my swap space and noticed the rather large change from jaguar to Panther. In Jaguar swap would be added in 80 MB increments as needed, so I would end up with as many as 15 swap files. In panther I notice that the first two are 64 MB each then the next is 128 MB, then 256 MB, the 512 MB. Thats as far as I've gotten/noticed so far. I have a 1GHz/1GB powerbook.

Yes, I noticed that too. I am still unsure of any speed gains.

Quote:

My question is, does anyone know of a write-up of the changes. Was this done to minimize the (very long) time lags that occured when swap was cleaned up in jaguar?

Not really a write-up, but, thank God, you might always have a look at the source code.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Was this done to minimize the (very long) time lags that occured when swap was cleaned up in jaguar?

I think that this change in swap file management will result in some improvements in system performance while swapping, since now, a certain amount of relatively big swap space ( > 1 GB ), can be reached with much less files.