PowerBook Purchasing Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am about to pull the trigger on a new PowerBook. I have basically decided on the 15" SuperDrive model. I'll get it with 512MB of RAM in a single chip (so I can move to a gig later with minimal hassle) and an 80GB HD. I'm just not too sure which 80GB drive to get.

Does anyone here have this model with the 5400RPM, 80GB drive? I know that the hard drive is basically the achilles heel of using a PowerBook, and 5400RPM would certainly speed up the overall feel of the machine, but I worry about heat and battery life.

If anyone could chime in with their personal experiences with this drive, I would appreciate it. As well, if anyone went through this same decision process and went with the 4200, why did you do it? Are you happy with the 4200?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    (This is kind of what I did with my PB, albeit mine is a couple years older.)

If you believe that the HD is the Achilles heel of the PB, them save the $200 and get the 60G Drive (if you select the 60G drive then the 80G 5400rpm is $200 more). You can then get the pocket rocket from Hitachi (model # 7K60). I bought my Hitachi drive from newegg.com for $235. It might be a little more now though, but it is a much faster and better HD.

Use the 60 HD 4,200 rpm that came with the new PB and turn it into a nice firewire drive, which is what I did.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What ac7860 said.