Starbucks: Perfect for a Tablet?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This glorious morning, since I didn't have to go to work and my little girls didn't have to go to school, three of five Aries 1Bians had a between meal snack at Starbucks.

The girls daintily sipped child-sized hot chocolate while I sipped a tall (small) Cafe Mocha (this, to me qualifies as caffeine restriction). At one of the small little tables a sad gentleman had his laptop open (sad for there was no Apple on the cover...) and a beverage tottering on the edge of space. I looked around while my daughters were admiring the gas fireplace and its immortal logs and noted that several of the other patrons were immersed in computing tasks with very large notebooks (compared to the available table space) that allowed no one to join with them. Even the couch people seemed weighed down by their laptops.

Sad to think that Apple will not make a Tablet. One hand for the computer, one hand for your Cafe Mocha.

Happy Holiday to One and All. Review your Heimlich Manouvers...

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I don't know if there's much of a market for computers without keyboards and mice.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I know where three would go (four when The Boy graduates from Pull-ups). That's a start

As you pass through General Discussion in the days to come, watch the view count for this (really) insignificant thread that has in its title the magical word, "tablet".

Remember at Thanksgiving, if you see someone who looks like this: and they can't talk, they're probably choking and need a good,sharp and upward oomph right underneath the breastbone.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Remember at Thanksgiving, if you see someone who looks like this: and they can't talk, they're probably choking and need a good,sharp and upward oomph right underneath the breastbone.

It's probably a breastbone causing the problem (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Interesting timing of the start of this thread. Another article on an Apple Tablet. This time from PBS. If it happens, I'll be in line to get one, if not, I won't be disappointed. It's risky business, to be sure.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    A guy I work with got a windows Tablet. You know it just doesn't seem to work that well. Not much more than a fancy reader of internet and email.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Why anyone would drink coffee, or anything else, near their computer is beyond me. My laptop will be kept away from anything and everything that could be potentially permanently damaging to it. I just don't know about the whole tablet thing yet...I know Apple could pull off something that actually works well, unlike the Windows based tablets that I've read about, but I just don't quite get it. What's the point? It's just a glorified laptop. Nothing more.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, it's just a laptop... with a different input system.

That input system *can* be pretty sweet (cf: Newton 2x00 and NewtOS2.1), but it can also be pretty braindead (cf: MS's three attempts at pen-enabled Windows).

When it works well, it's quite nice... but it certainly isn't the second coming of computing that MS is trying to make it out to be. It's just a different text/motion input system. NewtOS 2.1 is still, in many ways, the pinnacle of that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Well, I imagine that if anyone could do a pen enabled computer it would be Apple. My experiences with inkwell are nothing but positive, so I would guess that tech would be carried over to any kind of PDA/tablet that Apple was to produce.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Interesting timing of the start of this thread. Another article on an Apple Tablet. This time from PBS. If it happens, I'll be in line to get one, if not, I won't be disappointed. It's risky business, to be sure.

Trust Albus Dumbledore's pensieve to shed some light on the situation! Great catch on the article, Pensieve, thanks!

Lurkers be sure to check out the Pensieve-linked article by Mr. Cringley; the man paints an interesting picture, even if you have no interest in an Apple Tablet.

So, ladies and gentlemen, would Steve Jobs, after watching MS fumble around with their clunky tablets for a year and more, introduce a tablet with the 802.15.3 capabilities described in the article?

Would Steve Jobs, perhaps, introduce - not just a Newton II- but another revolution , this time in the form factor of a tablet? Would that not 'put right' in His mind Accounts Receivable with regard to Mr. Sculley? Not only would SJ's tablet surpass JS's Newton, but perhaps cheerfully relegate it (even in the heart of Newton Loyalists) to the junk heap of history.

Y'see, this is how I talk myself into believing in things that aren't there. Back to Tablet Rehab...

Aries 1B