Apple Pro speakers and iFire - humming noise???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got hte iFire for the Apple Pro speakers so that I could use them with my Powerbook.

I'm hearing this humming sound coming from the speakers when i'm not playing any sound.

Any idea what it could be??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Does it not hum while playing or is it just over powered?

Does it get louder when you turn up your volume or is it constant?

Do you have a iMac or PowerMac you can test it with through the digital audio?

Also do you have another computer with firewire you can test it with?

Have you tried moving locations to get away form possible interference?

You are scaring me, I have both of those on my christmas list!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    The humming seems to have died down...

I have a Powerbook Ti. I'm listening to them now and they sound great so far...I'll keep posted...I'm still keeping them as far as i'm concerned...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Does the iFire come with the necessary FireWire and analog audio cables?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yes it does...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Have you been able to test it with the iPod and see how much it drains battery life?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    No have not tried it with the iPod yet...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Well I got them and mine hum like crazy unless I push (very forcefully) the audio mini plug cable into the ifire... and have to hold it. Other wise it sounds great. But it only plays when I do that.

Also if whatever I have it plugged into...my iPod or PowerBook, when I thought the iPod or PowerBook, the buzzing gets louder. It's like its not grounded properly or something.

They have no support on their website so I guess I get to call them tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    does it matter if the PB is plugged in or not...

what powerbook do you have?

I believe only the newer AlBooks have grounded AC adapters....
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

does it matter if the PB is plugged in or not...

what powerbook do you have?

I believe only the newer AlBooks have grounded AC adapters....

It still makes the humming noise when I have it plugged in...but I believe it is quieter. I know it's not the speakers because I tested them on my brothers QuickSilver and they work perfectly.

So I guess my question is, when I call to complain and ask for another, should I expect they use a shitty amp that makes noise or should I assume this was just a fluke?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I have a friend whose pro speakers hum when connected to his iMac G4/700/combo. You get used to it, except when the speakers are at high volume.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

I have a friend whose pro speakers hum when connected to his iMac G4/700/combo. You get used to it, except when the speakers are at high volume.

I have them hooked up to my brother 733 QuickSilver and not a sound comes out of them when they are connected to the computer, and that is how it should be. If griffin even tells me I need to "get use to it" I will go crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    According to Griffin Technology they know there is a problem with the iFire and are currently making an iFire 2.

...so if anyone cares and O-mac you don't want to have to live with humming sounds if it still is a problem.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Wow, they're coming out with iFire 2?

Will we be able to return out original iFire???

I have iFire and when I play sound it pretty much drowns out the humming so it's not too bad...but when I'm not playing any music or whatever the humming happens especially when I'm moving the mouse around or if the EXT HD i have is spinning...

But otherwise, I still like the Pro Speakers...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I think you will be able to replace it, I'd call and complain to make sure just in case.