Laptop comparisons

mjemje
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay I've been wanting a laptop for some time and well don't have the cash now, could borrow and pay back. Anywho... umm which will be faster (at running OSX, itunes, iMovie, iPicture iPor.. err I mean web browsing and light/moderate picture editing) The 600 iBook or the 400 old G4 400 Ti Powerbook? Which will have better graphics for gaming? I mean the Ti is just a masterpeice (it IS I before e but there is a c... off track again) and the iBook is sexy. But apples Refurb 400 ti for 1300! I would use the DVD but wouldn't use the CDR on the combo drive (I have an external) So I mean it comes down to what is goning to be faster ibook of G4 ti?

-Thanks for listening

--MJE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    robertprobertp Posts: 139member
    As an owner of a g4 500mhz Tibook I can tell you OSX runs fine. However it may not perform as well on the 400. The new 667mhz is even better with better graphics..but the Tibook is no gaming machine. Look for a refurbished 550 or 667 on the apple store, or look online at various dealers for lower prices on refurb or used. The most intense programs such as games do not perform so well on these machines. Let me know if you need more info.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The TiBook would probably be a little faster in OS X. Probably not though since the TiBook is 400MHz and the iBook is 600MHz. When it comes to graphics, both the iBook and 400MHz TiBook have the 8MB Rage 128 so it should be the same. The only real advantage I think the G4 has is the huge screen.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    I'm not so into graphics/gaming as it might have come across. In the past 3 months I have popped in UT maybe 4 times and Sims prob 30 or so. I have a PC to do some hardercore gaming on (and a Gamecube) So its not such a big deal. About Graphics. I run Paint shop (I dont make the cash for Photoshop.) to do just a little bit of graphics (Amature Webpage, and just photo touch ups) And also I have a 600 P3 that does that more then fine. I have never been able afford a apple (Make only a coffee shop wage) so 1300 is big for me. But yeah, I want to buy the most for my cash. I am willing to look padt the refurb. part. So yeah. My main uses for a laptop would be music (I want I tunes SO badly) Digital photos (Cheaper than developing my picture) and once I can get a dig. camcorder iMovie. But OSX is a HUGE drive for me. The bueaty and stablity and the overall just coolness and ease of use. Thats why an iBook might not swing my way. The 15.1" and the thiness is just amazing. I've loved the ibook from the time Tangerine cam out. But yeah I'll stop blabering. Any benchmarks I should look at (and where would I find them) Yeah.. not sure what else. Thanks for forgiving my spelling. and your help

-MJE
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>The TiBook would probably be a little faster in OS X. Probably not though since the TiBook is 400MHz and the iBook is 600MHz</strong><hr></blockquote>

See thats what I'm looking for. Any benchmarks or what not. And the doesn't the G3 have less power.. or umm yeah doesn't the G4 it self make up for lack of speed?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    If you plan to use the Firewire port, then go for an iBook 600 as it, for some reason, trounces the 400 mhz Powerbook G4.

I have an iBook 600 12.1" and it really is a brilliant computer, especially at its price point.

If you really want the best laptop around, then fork out for the 667 mhz Powerbook G4.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I would get the Ti. I have seen and used both the Ti and the iBook and would just love to have one of those TiBook's. Even the 400 MHz model.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gkgk Posts: 32member
    I have the Ti400, bought last march. I have used the iBook in the apple store a few times. IMHO, the Ti is faster in OSX, and the screen is MUCH larger. I would take the TI anytime over the iBook.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Wow, you guys have helped me out a lot. CaoimhÃ*n I'de take the 667 PB anytime, you buyin' Umm Thanks Macintosh and GK for your inputs on the 400. I've been looking ALL over the web for the past 3 hours and realized something. I will have my total sum of cash (about 1400) At the start of April. MWTokyo is @ the very end of March. Alot of talk on PB updates then.. So maybe around then I can find a 550 for around the same price? That would be nice. I like the extra 8mb ram. I started to panic because I thought I had to buy now. So yeah I'm going to play the apple wating game (more tense than Russian Roulet (Butched that) But once again thanks everyone for taking the time to reply! Umm.. just a final question (well 2..) MWT- New Powerbooks Yes or No MWT- New iBooks yes or no?

-Ahregato gozaemasu

--MJE
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by MJE:

<strong>Wow, you guys have helped me out a lot. CaoimhÃ*n I'de take the 667 PB anytime, you buyin' Umm Thanks Macintosh and GK for your inputs on the 400. I've been looking ALL over the web for the past 3 hours and realized something. I will have my total sum of cash (about 1400) At the start of April. MWTokyo is @ the very end of March. Alot of talk on PB updates then.. So maybe around then I can find a 550 for around the same price? That would be nice. I like the extra 8mb ram. I started to panic because I thought I had to buy now. So yeah I'm going to play the apple wating game (more tense than Russian Roulet (Butched that) But once again thanks everyone for taking the time to reply! Umm.. just a final question (well 2..) MWT- New Powerbooks Yes or No MWT- New iBooks yes or no?

-Ahregato gozaemasu

--MJE</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, go with the Powerbook 400 if you buy now. The screen, thinness, and OS X speed are worth it.

I think we will see new Powerbooks in MWTK or sooner. I would lean towards yes on the Book because they havent changed the processor speed in a while. But if Apple does update the ibook they may be a really good deal by then too.

If you can wait you should. Think about this:

iBook 600 G3 Combo $1,199

Powerbook 550 Combo or DVD approx $1,400

mmmm less expensive laptops. I NEED A SUMMER JOB!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Macintosh- Thanks man. Yeah I'm wating. Its kinda nice to have to not worry for a couple of months. But yeah Umm Im tired now. To much thinking. So Thanks to everyone. Now lets let this topic Die in peace Ha :single tear drops down face:

-Adio

--MJE
  • Reply 11 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    keep in mind that the Powerbooks need to be pampered to be kept in good shape. the iBook can be knocked around.