Moving from 10.2 on one PB to Panther on another PB. Huh?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
(Thanks Alcemides for your help a few days ago, but I'm still stuck.)

This is the situation: I bought a new PB (1.25, 5400, Jaguar pre-installed) in Sep, but immediately requested a replacement (same model, Panther pre-installed) cos of dead pixels. The replacement arrived recently and so the original faulty PB will shortly be picked up. But, for the moment I have both PBs (and a LaCie 120GB) at my disposal.

This is my first forray into Macdom and I never was good with computers in the first place... :

People on this forum suggested that CCC was a good way of backing up all of ones files and preferences and applications etc in order to transfer them to a different computer. With CCC, this is what I am trying to do. Everything seems a bit complicated though. Im trying to move all my stuff from one PB to another, but also from Jaguar to Panther.

What I have done so far:

1 I've CCC'd everything from my faulty PB HD to my LaCie, making the copy 'Bootable'.

2 (Leaving the faulty PB to one side) I've plugged in the LaCie to the replacement PB and tried to boot from the LaCie by holding down option on startup and choosing it instead of the internal HD. BAM! This doesn't work. I get the apple logo for a few seconds, then a 'No Entry" sign replaces it and nothing more happens. I have to hold down the Power button to switch off the PB. What's wrong? (Do I even need to boot off the LaCie?)

Let's say I am able to boot off the LaCie, then what? Do I ask CCC (opened on the LaCie) to copy everything from the external HD to the PB's internal one? Won't this just leave Panther and my new PB as it is, but with a copy of all my stuff from the faulty PB dumped inside. Surely, internet browsing and applications won't work anymore cos they won't recognise the new computer that they are being used on without it all being properly integrated?

I don't geddit.

HOW CAN I SET UP MY NEW PANTHER-ENABLED PB SO THAT ALL MY FILES, PREFERENCES AND APPLICATIONS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE AS MY OLD JAGUAR-ENABLED PB?

Help. Please.

Pretend you're explaining this to a 3 year old. No condescension is too patronising. Step-by-step, La-di-da will suit me fine. :

Thank You

SoS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Don't boot off of your external HD, too much of a hassle. Boot off of the internal HD in your new PB with the external HD plugged in and ready to go. After it boots, go into your external HD and find where you had your home folder. Take your home folder off of your external HD and replace it with the one that is on your new PB. It will take a while to transfer all your files, but be patient. That will be all you need to do to have all your prefs and anything else you need as they are all kept in your home folder. Than just transfer over anything else that you need. Don't worry about using any crazy apps, just do a simple transfer, that's the easiest way by far. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Don't boot off of your external HD, too much of a hassle. Boot off of the internal HD in your new PB with the external HD plugged in and ready to go. After it boots, go into your external HD and find where you had your home folder. Take your home folder off of your external HD and replace it with the one that is on your new PB. It will take a while to transfer all your files, but be patient. That will be all you need to do to have all your prefs and anything else you need as they are all kept in your home folder. Than just transfer over anything else that you need. Don't worry about using any crazy apps, just do a simple transfer, that's the easiest way by far. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Dude! Thanks for the reply! You have restored my FATIH Anyhow, I've already gone and done exactly what you just said. I don't even see why I needed CCC in the first place. I spent AGES (maybe 12 hours in total!) doing various backups of my whole system. Then, realising noone else was gonna help me, I looked up shit on Apple Support, the Manual that came with the PB (shock!), and used a little common sense and confidence (that was the main thing) to fiddle everything. I came to the idea that all I needed to do was cut n paste my Home Folder. And thats what i did. And now all my passwords are working (touch-wood), I'm on my school network, and on the internet, I've 'renamed' my Home Folder, I've learned how to use Root and I'm very happy with myself.

(Don't noone spoil it by saying how EASY it is in the first place.)

Oh, and 200th Post
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    be very careful when logged in as root.

it gives you acces to many files that you aren't usually able to acces.

i know very little about whats under the hood of mac os X and unix, but i know if i have to use the root user for something, i always disable it as soon as i'm done

if you know about permissions and system files and what not, then just ignore this message.

enjoy your powerbook