Can I download music w OS 9.1?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi. I just upgraded to OS 9.1 and bought a CD burner...I have never downloaded music before and am wondering how to do it with OS 9.1. The Apple website's iTunes downloads require OS X or higher...does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    iTunes 4 is OS X only (oh, and Windows too) so I think you're out of luck. Why not take the leap to OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah...why are you on OS 9? Why use an unstable, ugly OS when you can use a polished, reliable one for only $129 or less?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah...why are you on OS 9? Why use an unstable, ugly OS when you can use a polished, reliable one for only $129 or less?

Because Mac OS X only runs on USB-capable G3s or higher. Even on the early iMacs and early G3s and G4s, OSX still runs like molasses.

I'm typing this right now on a PowerMac 8600/250 (my mother's computer). It can't run OS X. Yes, it has a PPC604e but XPostFacto refuses to work for some reason. This is still a good computer for surfing the web, e-mail, and using MS Word. It's running Mac OS 9.

This is actually something my mother has asked me several times. She wants music. How can she get it? I tried once before showing her Limewire. It's terrible software and it's stealing. She wants iTunes. She can't have iTunes. That's disappointing.

*sigh*

She and everyone else using older computers are simply out of luck. You are too, harrietsf.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    itunes 2 (3?) is available for mac os 8.5! good luck finding it online tho...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yes, there's iTunes as a music player; she has that. However, there's no iTunes Music Store. What good is a player without music? That's what I meant by "She can't have iTunes."
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    If you really wanted to, why not buy VPC (you'd have to find an older version, i think version 5 will run in OS) with Windows 2000. Then install the windows version of iTunes and buy all the music you want.

Seems like a rather complicated solution, but if you really want iTMS w/out buying a new machine, its all i can think of.

Seems to me it would be cheaper to buy CDs (even if u just want one track) than buying VPC and Windows and then buying the individual tracks.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There's another problem with buying VPC - first of all, it's very slow and for the price of the software you may as well just buy a cheap desktop PC that'll run Windows faster. Secondly, it downloads music in AAC format, which can't be played with iTunes 2. You'd have to listen to any purchased tracks using QuickTime Player, which doesn't seem like a very good solution.

I think you should just rely on CDs until you're ready to move to OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Secondly, it downloads music in AAC format, which can't be played with iTunes 2.

If he purchased VPC, wouldn't he be using iTunes 4? Even so, I agree that purchasing VPC for the express goal of using iTunes is clearly not worth it. He'd be better off investing in new hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

If he purchased VPC, wouldn't he be using iTunes 4?

It's slow and audio skips terribly out of sync on a dual 500 G4. It would be completely unusable as a MP3/AAC player on a 250 MHz 604e.

Then, of course, there's the downright stupid extra layer of complication added by having to even use an emulated environment. How's my mom going to figure that out when she sometimes has trouble simply figuring out how to deal with downloaded files on her desktop.

She needs an easy-as-Mac (or rather easy-as-iTunes) solution. There just isn't one for OS9.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It's slow and audio skips terribly out of sync on a dual 500 G4. It would be completely unusable as a MP3/AAC player on a 250 MHz 604e.

Then, of course, there's the downright stupid extra layer of complication added by having to even use an emulated environment. How's my mom going to figure that out when she sometimes has trouble simply figuring out how to deal with downloaded files on her desktop.

She needs an easy-as-Mac (or rather easy-as-iTunes) solution. There just isn't one for OS9.

yeah.