Networked Mac woes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why - oh - why won't my G3 laptop (OSX 10.2) appear on the desktop of my G4 with Panther installed. It used to, right up until I installed 10.3 And even though I can *access* it through finder windows, it refuses to appear with the rest of my firewire drives on the desktop. I have "connected servers" ticked in the General pane of the Finder preferences... sheesh!!

It's driving me nuts, and is my only complaint so far with Panther. Can anybody shed any light on this? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Why - oh - why won't my G3 laptop (OSX 10.2) appear on the desktop of my G4 with Panther installed. It used to, right up until I installed 10.3 And even though I can *access* it through finder windows, it refuses to appear with the rest of my firewire drives on the desktop. I have "connected servers" ticked in the General pane of the Finder preferences... sheesh!!

It's driving me nuts, and is my only complaint so far with Panther. Can anybody shed any light on this? \

Its simply the slightly weird way networking works in 10.3: servers appear on your desktop if mounted using cmd-K (the old method, which still works), but don't appear if mounted through finder browsing.

If you don't want to remember IPs etc to connect through the cmd-K command, you can use its rendezvous name e.g. boris.local. (found in the Sharing Preferences pane)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the hint: it worked! But jeepers, that's NUTS!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Thanks for the hint: it worked! But jeepers, that's NUTS!

Don't worry - you're not the only one who thinks its a bit... odd.