What is with all the Kernal Panics?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have had an abnormally large amount of Kernal Panics in the past few weeks, I think I'm up to about 20, sometimes it happens 3+ times a day. What is the deal? I'm running a G4 Cube, 384mb of ram, OS 10.3.1. I checked the log and it keeps saying something about prebinding in Kanfabulator, so I'm going to stop using that for a few days and see if that nails down the problem. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been KPing a lot lately, or am I alone on this one? I ran FSCK, I repaired permissions, I zapped the PRAM, did all the fixes. If I can't figure it out I might just do a clean install, but I don't want it to come to that. Has anyone else been having problems lately, with specific programs, or aspects of the system? My system is kept in top shape, and this has never happened before! Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Get Gauge Pro from versiontracker.com or macupdate.org, boot into 9, run it to check your RAM. It's the single most snarky reason for kernel panics, and the hardest to pin down, since Apple's own RAM testing utilities under X miss one important test that GP performs.

It's a simple test, and a simple fix if it's the problem. Could save you a lot of time. (Or, it could be a waste of time, but at least then you know it's most likely software and can eliminate hardware problems. )
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I can't get to Gauge Pro on macupdate.com and Version Tracker doesn't have it. Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 5
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks! I couldn't find it. I ran the tests and it said RAM was okay. I'm going to start looking at possible software issues. Has anyone here had any trouble with Kanfabulator? Thats what seems to be causing all the headaches for me, at least I hope thats it. Thanks again Kickaha!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Sorry it didn't pinpoint it for you, but glad you don't have to shell out more $ on new RAM.