iMac 17 FP brightness different at bottom of screen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

i recently noticed a difference of the brightness at the bottom of the screen on my iMac G4 17". The more i move an item like an icon to the bottom of the screen the brighter the colors get. It is not that much, but noticeable.

Does someone have the same strangeness?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

Hello,

i recently noticed a difference of the brightness at the bottom of the screen on my iMac G4 17". The more i move an item like an icon to the bottom of the screen the brighter the colors get. It is not that much, but noticeable.

Does someone have the same strangeness?

Thanks

Yes, I have noticed that too. It's actually the way you have your monitor positioned. If you squat down in your chair you'll notice the bottom part of the screen gets darker and the top brighter (resposition viewing). It's just something you have to deal with, all iMac Flat Panels have it. In time, you will learn what position fits you best and you'll never give it a second thought.

However, I don't like the fonts. Everything looks blurry or harder to focus on. If you look at a Windows PC with a flat screen all fonts (even with ClearType on) look crisp, clear, and consise. This is a problem with Mac's I hope one day they will resolve, but don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by bartonab

Yes, I have noticed that too. It's actually the way you have your monitor positioned. If you squat down in your chair you'll notice the bottom part of the screen gets darker and the top brighter (resposition viewing). It's just something you have to deal with, all iMac Flat Panels have it. In time, you will learn what position fits you best and you'll never give it a second thought.

However, I don't like the fonts. Everything looks blurry or harder to focus on. If you look at a Windows PC with a flat screen all fonts (even with ClearType on) look crisp, clear, and consise. This is a problem with Mac's I hope one day they will resolve, but don't hold your breath.

not this again.. did you remember to calibrate your monitor, if you calibrate correctly this problem is basically non-existant(but some people are use to rough scraggley looking fonts and want that like you get on the pc side).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    How does one calibrate their monitor on an iMac? Shouldn't the default iMac profile be brilliant? I know of only one way and that justs calibrates the brightness and darkness of the monitor. Please, I'm asking, no bashing, at least not in your first response. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    In the System Preference Pane, click on Appearance. At the bottom is font smoothing style. Make sure it's set at "Medium - Best For Flat Panel."

Also turn off font smoothing at 8. Try other settings as well. For color calibration go to Displays in the System Preference Pane. See if the former helps first I'd say.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks, I calibrated the monitor using the Expert mode, did the whole squinting my eyes thing to match the colors and the screen look perfect. Thank you so much folks, you've made me a happy man. Fonts look fabulous!