Print a Folder's Contents?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I take a screen cap (or print) the ENTIRE content listing of a folder in Panther?

The regular "Apple Opt 3" doesnt work, because the contents of the folderhas too many files, and thus I need to scroll.

Remember the old OS 9 "Print Window" command?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Highlight the entire list and copy it. Paste into TextEdit or Word and then print it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    If you want multi-columns or more info you can do this:

1. Go into the terminal, type "ls " and drag the folder onto the terminal

window. Hit enter.

2. Copy all the text

3. Paste into favorite text editor and print.

(For added fun, try things like "ls -l" or "ls -A" or "ls -1")

Of course, you could be wanting all the fancy GUI stuff like pictures of folders and such, but this works for a standard listing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdowns

Highlight the entire list and copy it. Paste into TextEdit or Word and then print it.

Interesting, but it only copies the names of files, and not the info like dates, sizes, etc...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Try Print Window. Works great for me and I use it almost daily.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Interesting, but it only copies the names of files, and not the info like dates, sizes, etc...

It seems like Amarone's suggestion would be the best.

Another option using ls (I assume you just did the normal ls without any options), is:

ls -hl > filelisting.txt

It will write out the file listing (along with other stuff like permissions, owner, filesize) to a file in the current directory. The '>' is a redirection to send the output of the command into whatever file you specify (i.e. I did filelisting.txt).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    this is one of the things that i really miss from os9. what's the deal? you shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops or buy thrid party software to print the contents of a window.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Just drag this folder to a printer, it will print file list.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Here's how you do it. It's a little different, but there's no mucking about in the fancy setups.

In Jaguar: Place your print center icon in the dock. Drag the folder in question to the printer. It prints the contents to the default printer.

In Panther: Place the icon for the printer (accessible through the printer setup utility) in your dock (control-click and select Keep in Dock). Drag the folder to the icon. Print or save as PDF.

It's different, yes, but just as useful as selecting a menu option.

HTH...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You can also drag a folder to BBEdit's window to get a list of contents.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Just did a search on this topic and came up with this thread. Cool! That drag-to-print-center really works! Just wanted to posted a delayed thanks. :P

But really c'mon Apple... how hard would it be for them to add a damn print window item to the finder. Grrr.