Dual GHz G4.... WOW

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I went over to Palisades to get a haircut so of course I went into the Apple Store. Right when I got in there I hurried over to the G4 towers. Those things are SOOO FAST. Everything (except for Word v.X) opened with one bounce. Illustrator, Corel Painter (or whatever it's called), iTunes, iDVD, iPhoto, and everything else. It was amazing. I couldn't believe how fast they were. A lot faster than the Dual 800.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    How much faster?

400 MHz faster!!

I would expect a dramatic difference!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>How much faster?

400 MHz faster!!

I would expect a dramatic difference! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I expected a dramatic difference, but it was more than I could imagine.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Wow, maybe Apollo is a lot more efficient?

I'll have to see these things for myself!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    How can Illustrator launches in one bounce?

Usually it takes at least four to five bounces to show up the splash screen in the first launch and three in the relaunch. And this is tested on a Dual 800.

Even with Dual Ghz it still (therocially) requires 3 bounces in first launch and 2 on relaunch

:eek:
  • Reply 5 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>How can Illustrator launches in one bounce?

Usually it takes at least four to five bounces to show up the splash screen in the first launch and three in the relaunch. And this is tested on a Dual 800.

Even with Dual Ghz it still (therocially) requires 3 bounces in first launch and 2 on relaunch

:eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

It was one bounce then the splash screen.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Wasn't the SOI process supposed to increace performance by 30% at the same clock rate? Remember reading something like that, way back...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Not quite. It can increase performance by 30% by allowing the chip to be clocked that much higher. It also reduces heat dissipation (energy consumption).

Also, the 7455 and 7445 have significantly improved caches, which apparently do quite well in getting around the bottleneck created by the front side bus. So the real-world performance should be greater than the increase in MHz would indicate. Judging by this thread, it seems to be.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yeah. Amorph beat me to it. On the Apple page it details that the entire memory accessing architecture has been upgraded. Faster & more cache, and a more effective motherboard.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Also, the 7455 and 7445 have significantly improved caches, which apparently do quite well in getting around the bottleneck created by the front side bus.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hm, the only improvement to the cache system mentioned on motos page is the support for L1 cache locking. For this to give any speed increase, the operating system would have to be modified to make use of this (i.e. lock frequently used code) explicitely, and I don't think this is true for OS X yet.

Bye,

RazzFazz