Winter Static Shock Madness!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I can tell the air is dry again. Every winter, I end up shocking damn near everything capable of conducting electricity because I build up so much static. I'm even regularly shocking my Pismo, Clie', iPod, and other stuff too! Hell, even when I touch something else (like the torchiere lamp to turn it on) the static pulse will wake up my Pismo -- no kidding!

Is this damaging to my equipment? So far nothing has stopped working or anything, but I don't see how it can be beneficial. Who else is having this problem? What can I do about this (besides run a humidifier EVERYWHERE I go)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    <no expert>

I don't think that little bit will hurt it since your computer and components should be grounded and insolated

</no expert>

I know I get socked all the time too and have even see small sparks on my AlBook I believe.

Just don't walk around when your at the gas pump, stand in the cold and let it finihs fueling before you let go
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Most products are required to pass ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) tolerance tests, but don't let that give you a false sense of security. The chance for damage exists, even if it is relatively small. Even if you don't cause permanent damage to your system (unlikely), you might cause a crash if the wrong internal signal receives a spike that is misinterpreted as a valid data transition--this is a possible reason why a zap can cause your computer to wake from sleep. We have a treadmill at work that resets and stops abruptly if you touch and zap the panel during dry days--I fear that one day I'll end up a wall ornament if it happens when I don't expect it!

Don't stress over it, but do be aware. If you *always* zap something when you sit down at your desk, then consider a humidifier in your office. Alternately, you could touch something grounded and rugged (your desk lamp?) to discharge yourself before you handle your Mac.

I used to work in a Planetarium that was notoriously dry and staticy. I ended up carrying my keys with me and touching them to the occasional doorknob to discharge myself--not necessarily to protect the equipment, but the zaps *hurt*!

hope this helps!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I always got zapped when I lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I lived on top of a hill, and during the winter, I would touch a car door handle and *ZAP*. Most of the time I was expecting it, but once and a while I would let me guard down.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It never gets like that here, but when I was in New York a couple of Christmases ago, I could actually see blue arcs between my fingers and the elevator buttons and stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It never gets like that here, but when I was in New York a couple of Christmases ago, I could actually see blue arcs between my fingers and the elevator buttons and stuff.

That happens to me several times every winter. Those shocks hurt too. I hate 'em.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I could actually see blue arcs between my fingers and the elevator buttons and stuff.

\\

Are you normal????
  • Reply 7 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    same thing here. odd part is it's much worse when i wear a leather coat relative to other jackets.

and you can damage your laptop that way. those little sparks contain a lot of energy. i always touch something metal before touching my powerbook in winter.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    To feel a static discharge the build-up must be around 1000 to 2000 volts while it only takes less than 200 volts to dammage computer internals. Note that this is with direct contact to a PCB.

I always ground myself before tuching computer parts, however I never ground myself when handeling comsumer electronics, like an iPod.

Yah, shocks suck.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    My poor cat. When I drag him across my comforter at night (if I need to reposition him, etc.) he lets out a trail of blue sparks. It's quite neat looking, but my cat doesn't seem to enjoy it very much. :^(

I've tried a dehumidifier, which helped only marginally.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

My poor cat. When I drag him across my comforter at night (if I need to reposition him, etc.) he lets out a trail of blue sparks. It's quite neat looking, but my cat doesn't seem to enjoy it very much. :^(

I nearly fell off my chair!

he he ...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'll let him know a laugh was had as his expense.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    make that one more
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

You were dragging dehumidifier across your comforter?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

same thing here. odd part is it's much worse when i wear a leather coat relative to other jackets.

It could because most other jackets are made out of polysynthetic materials and are therefore insulative to the charged particles that are all around you. Try wearing a real fur coat...eek...or any natural coat that also has an insulated interior (like a leather/suede jacket).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife and I had to start touching our fingers together before we kissed "hello" or we'd shock each others lips.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

My wife and I had to start touching our fingers together before we kissed "hello" or we'd shock each others lips.

Laughable, yet charming.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    You want a humidifier, not a dehumidifier. Static electricity is caused from dry air, so, correct me if I'm wrong, but a dehumidifier is just adding to the problem. Poor cat
  • Reply 18 of 18
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I meant to say humidifier.