Going to Seattle. Any recs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going to be in Seattle for 5 days next week for a job thingy (I got a postdoc at Dook! Woo hoo!) and I was hoping to get some recommendations for food, music, bars, shopping, etc... I know there are some people here who are from the area, so give me the goods! Thx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Step one: where are you staying?

I have a LOOOOOOOOONG document on things to do in Seattle since so many people kept asking me that question, but I can pare it down based on where you're going to be based.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Step one: where are you staying?

I have a LOOOOOOOOONG document on things to do in Seattle since so many people kept asking me that question, but I can pare it down based on where you're going to be based.

I have no idea. The dookies and the uw people are going to be setting me up. I think I'll be in someone's house for most of the time I'm there and then in a hotel for Saturday night. So I was going to base my hotel decision on what's good to do.
  • Reply 3 of 15
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Have fun.

Thanks! On another note, my fiancee set up a thrift store a couple years ago with the Downtown Emergency Services people for guys who were mentally ill to work in in the Pioneer Square area. I'll have to see if I can find it...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Seattle...

I live in the Greater Eastside, Bellevue. It's about 10mins drive east of Seattle.

I hate the Huskies.

Anyway, you can hang around in the Paul Allen's EMP (short for Experience Music Project).

Be sure to check the weather... you know the depressing Pacific NW weather. It is in the 40s and raining now.

If you like to ski or have time to.. The Snoqualmie Pass should be a good place for ya. Take the highway I-90 East and exit 52.

Since you are in the UW area... The University Village is a good place to shop.. don't forget to stop by the AppleStore.

Alki beach is a nice place for sightseeing.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Oh definitely go to the EMP. Don't go inside, just walk around it once or twice and marvel that anyone could ever build such a FSCKING GAWDAWFUL MONSTROSITY! JEEBUS that building is fugly. Would love to torch it to the ground, I would.

The Underground Tours are fun too - Seattle had a bizarre early history, and they do a good job of running through it while you walk on the old Seattle streets.

Univ Village is a really trendy posh shopping area... kinda like you'll find anywhere. :/ I'd hit the Ave (Univ Way, called the Ave, don't ask me) for more local flavor, and some amazingly fun used book stores. (Not to mention some of the cheapest and most authentic Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Thai/Vietnamese/Indian/Lebanese/Russian restaurants you'll find in the city in one place. Cedars at 50th and Brooklyn has bottomless chai for $2.50. )
  • Reply 7 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Have fun.

Thanks! That has now been saved and will be used when I go for a weekend in Jan. Of course, I changed txt to html
  • Reply 8 of 15
    D'oh! Error! Error!

Fixed, thanks.

(Oh nice - it's only fixed in the original post, all quotes of it are hardcoded to the .txt... don't use. :P )
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I'm going to be in Seattle for 5 days next week for a job thingy (I got a postdoc at Dook! Woo hoo!) and I was hoping to get some recommendations for food, music, bars, shopping, etc... I know there are some people here who are from the area, so give me the goods! Thx.

got a postdoc at Dook! Woo hoo!?

what am i missing? a few brain cells?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

got a postdoc at Dook! Woo hoo!?

what am i missing? a few brain cells?

Dook = Duke in Tarheeel speak. Woo hoo = Homer Simpson's exclamation of joy. Is that what you're confused about?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Yeah, I was gonna let the Dook reference slide, but...

DOOK?!? What the hell are you thinking you moron?!?!

Love, Kickaha, UNC-Chapel Hill.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Skid Row is Yesler Way.

And the Bank of America tower isn't the tallest building on the West Coast, there are taller buildings in LA. However it is the tallest building in the Pacific Northwest.

And Zeke's pizza is better than Pagliacci. Wood Butcher. Otherwise your rundown is pretty good.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Skid Row is Yesler Way.

Righto. Haven't updated that page since the quake. Need to go back and fiddle with it.

Quote:

And the Bank of America tower isn't the tallest building on the West Coast, there are taller buildings in LA. However it is the tallest building in the Pacific Northwest.

Got it.

Quote:

And Zeke's pizza is better than Pagliacci. Wood Butcher.

Well, I prefer Atlantic St. to both, but Pagliacci's is easier to find. Heck, is A. St. even still around?? (Northlake Tavern at the north end of Lake Union also has great pizza, but it's a bit pricey.)

Quote:

Otherwise your rundown is pretty good.

Aw shucks.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Skid Row is Yesler Way.

And Zeke's pizza is better than Pagliacci. Wood Butcher. Otherwise your rundown is pretty good.

do you guys still have pietro's (sp?) gold coast pizza there? had them when i lived in tacoma. used to really love thier za, especial the crust. yummy goodness. most of the pizza joints here in dallas suck ass. bbq and mexican are top notch but the pizza is so-so at best. i needs to takes me a trip back to the old hood. sniffle.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Numero Uno. Right accross the street from here. Yum.

Too bad there are none in Seattle. Or are there? I forget. Or something.