Microsoft 'Longhorn' pirated in Malaysia...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This made me laugh, 'Longhorn' which will apparently be Microsoft's biggest software announcement of this decade(!) has been found for sale for $2 on a street corner in Malaysia.

"The company says it would be extremely risky to load the still unstable operating system onto a home computer"

Unlike all other versions of Windows...which.....well...are still unstable and extremely risky to load onto a home computer!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by UkNeedsApple

This made me laugh, 'Longhorn' which will apparently be Microsoft's biggest software announcement of this decade(!) has been found for sale for $2 on a street corner in Malaysia.

"The company says it would be extremely risky to load the still unstable operating system onto a home computer"

Unlike all other versions of Windows...which.....well...are still unstable and extremely risky to load onto a home computer!

Ummmm, Longhorn's not out yet. I have to agree with MS on this one - I'd be weary of installing a version that's 3 years away from the final version, regardless of who makes it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The level of piracy in Malasyia is disgusting. If pirating at that scale was world wide, no software company could survive.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

BURN! </ashton kutcher mode>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I've been to Malaysia. You can buy each and everything digital that can be transferred to some round piece of plastic in their street markets - including Linux distros.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    First of all, this is just plain bad for everyone.

Only idiots install alpha versions of operating systems that are two years away from release. When your OS crashes, you can't recover your data, and you are crying, I am going to laugh at you. I will mock you. I will say you got what you deserved.

Software priacy is a serious issue. Contrary to what all the FSF nitwits say, software is not something that longs to be free. It takes considerable time, money, and skill to make it. It is not simple. Software is very much in the same category as medicine in that when compared to distribution, the upfront R&D costs are by far and away the majority of the development cost. Some people continue to fail to grasp that some things are very difficult and expensive to make, but near free to distribute. (software is kind of like music and movies in this sense, although the up front development cost for music isn't nearly as high).

And frankly, I am a mac fan through and through, but stop bashing MS for some of their issues with stability. FileVault corrupts user profiles and data, and Apple has their own firewire HD issues to deal with. New releases of OS's are always a bit risky because they are on the bleeding edge.

Low cost copies of longhorn will only push MS further into the position where they need to restrict their software more and more.

Finally, if copies of OS 10.3 were on sale for $2, you would probably not be cheering as loudly. Apple does need that money for their own development efforts.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Finally, if copies of OS 10.3 were on sale for $2, you would probably not be cheering as loudly.

Yeah, NONE of us here ever TOUCHED alpha or beta builds of Panther. No way.

I honestly don't see where the "story" is. It's not like Longhorn isn't being pirated openly everywhere else in the world, the only diff in Malaysia, Indonesia etc is that all the piracy is more common.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

...stop bashing MS for some of their issues with stability...

And as I read those words, MS Word crashes... F**kin POS!