Even the British Conservatives Have Little Faith

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From Salon:

In the U.K., even conservatives criticize Bush's foreign policy decisions.

Dec. 1, 2003 Ê|Ê An unabashed hawk's unvarnished warning

The Bush administration's apologists like to pretend that harsh assessments of its foreign policy are confined to the most ideological or anti-American media outlets. But as Andrew Neil proved in yesterday's Scotsman, such criticism is no longer confined to the most ideological or hostile media outlets (if it ever was). A former Tory Party staffer who has worked in America, Neil has ample conservative credentials -- and during the months leading to the invasion of Iraq, he established himself as one of the United Kingdom's most voluble hawks. The former Murdoch editor is rightly concerned about the progress of the war against Islamist terror, and he doesn't flinch from admitting that he is deeply disturbed by what he learned during a recent visit to Washington:

The Actual editorial by Andrew Neil

http://www.news.scotsman.com/interna...?id=1317722003

"IN NEW York the mood is buoyant as the American economy continues to purr at a satisfying rate, but 250 miles to the south in Washington DC there is increasing private gloom among those in the know that events in Afghanistan and Iraq are going badly wrong - and growing despair about what to do about it.

President BushÕs bold Thanksgiving trip to Baghdad gave US troops a much-needed fillip and he said all the right things. But behind the scenes the war on terror is going badly wrong in its two main theatres. "In both places it is worse than you think," I was warned before arriving in the US capital for a series of off-the-record briefings. The warning was accurate. "

This all flies in the face of what the administration has been trying to say. "It's much better than the press is letting on."

This is exactly what Dean and Clarke have been saying... Bush isn't attacking the terrorists... he's sidetracked the "war on terrah" by going into Iraq. And now Afhganistan is on the path to being a opium growing warlord ruled country again.

This administration has A.D.D.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

This all flies in the face of what the administration has been trying to say. "It's much better than the press is letting on."

This is exactly what Dean and Clarke have been saying... Bush isn't attacking the terrorists... he's sidetracked the "war on terrah" by going into Iraq. And now Afhganistan is on the path to being a opium growing warlord ruled country again.

This administration has A.D.D.

Dems seem to understand this with crystalline clarity. Repubs are in such denial that I find myself laughing out loud daily at the spin.

I find it humorous that Repubs seem so hell-bent at pointing out that the Dems are in denial about the recent losses the party as suffered, yet they're so defensive about Bush's ill-conceived pre-emptive defense policy. Interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    How come the leftists are always so defeatist? Always the pessimists..
  • Reply 3 of 20
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    How come the conseratives are always so defeatist? Always the pessimists...

That editoral was written by a conservative.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Wow...that's two anti-conservative, anti-bush threads I've replied to in less than three minutes!

AI: Fair and Balanced!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    That's funny. How is this an anti-conservative thread?

I agree with the british conservative Andrew Neil.

I've also agreed with some pieces in the conservative

The Economist magazine lately too.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

I agree with the british conservative Andrew Neil.

Be careful. They're going to short-circuit if you keep that up.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Why does it take a Canadian Newspaper to get any kind of objective view of what's going on in iraq?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154
  • Reply 8 of 20
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

How come the leftists are always so defeatist? Always the pessimists..

After reading some of your posts in other threads it's pretty clear that everyone at AO(except for very few exceptions) is a leftist compared to you. What part of British C-O-N-S-E-R-V-A-T-I-V-E did you not get?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    But I do like to bash the hypocrit Rush Limbaugh.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts...n-Killers.html

Closer to a perp walk perhaps?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

What part of British C-O-N-S-E-R-V-A-T-I-V-E did you not get?

Euro conservatives are comparable to US raving liberals...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

He's the former executive editor of fox news.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Oh yeah, I forgot. Those pinko commie liberal bastahds right?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

He's the former executive editor of fox news.

Ouch.

[Denial Party Spin engaged]

Good riddance...pinko raving liberal!

[/Denial Party Spin disengaged]

• Reply 14 of 20
    You know, you can tell allot about a person by who they keep as company. Glad to see you are enjoying yourself with present company.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Next they are going to say Fox is liberal.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Noooo... Fox is fair and balance... remember?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Noooo... Fox is fair and balance... remember?

Yeah. I forgot.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I would just like to say that this discussion is really rather humorous.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Conservative doubt keeps creeping.

A military analyst that works for FOX is doubting the administrations plan, tactics and attitudes... and chances for success.

So is it only the liberals that are criticizing the way things are going?

http://www.thenation.com/capitalgame...bid=3&pid=1104

"Why don't they share your view at the White House and the Pentagon?

Ignorance--they just don't know how unconventional war is fought. And arrogance--an inability to listen to the suggestions from others. And there is some professional jealousy. The civilians in the Pentagon don't want to see the Special Forces guys handed another mission.

I thought going to war in Iraq was a good thing. But we are screwing it up. If we change our policies and truly work with the Iraqi people, things can change. If they do not change, we will have another Beirut, another Somalia. We will end up leaving, and it will implode. And that will give us negative PR in the eyes of 1.6 billion Muslims. This is the Super Bowl. Look, we trained and advised the Afghanistan mujaheddin [who battled the Soviet Union in the 1980s] and some of them managed to fight against us later. Our ability to screw things up is immense. "
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Damn! Another leftist critic!

oh wait... it's Newt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Dec7.html

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich said yesterday that the Bush administration has gone "off a cliff" in postwar Iraq and that "the White House has to get a grip on this."

In a blunt critique by a leading Republican, Gingrich said the administration has failed "to put the Iraqis at the center of this equation. . . . The key to defeating the bad guys is having enough good guys who are Iraqis," he said on NBC's "Meet the Press."