How do you unlock a locked CDRW in 10.3?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Probably a stupid question but this is my first CD (and DVD) burner that I have ever had. I tested out the CD burner by dragging a file onto the CD and selecting burn and it worked fine. Now, I can't add any other files to the CD and I can't erase the file I saved onto the CD. The CD is a CDRW so I know it's re-writable.

Why can't I just drag the file from the CD to the trash to delete it like you would do on a zip drive? When I do this, it says I don't have sufficient privilages.

Thanks to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Probably a stupid question but this is my first CD (and DVD) burner that I have ever had. I tested out the CD burner by dragging a file onto the CD and selecting burn and it worked fine. Now, I can't add any other files to the CD and I can't erase the file I saved onto the CD. The CD is a CDRW so I know it's re-writable.

Why can't I just drag the file from the CD to the trash to delete it like you would do on a zip drive? When I do this, it says I don't have sufficient privilages.

Thanks to all who answer.

Right click or ctrl clicl on the disk, select get info, go down to ownership and privs, details click the lock type yer password and change from the group to you and make read write, this should clear it up.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    normally a CD burnt through the finder is not re-writable. You'd have to use Toast for that. The finder can only make sessions.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Thanks cybermonkey and defiant.

I'm kind of surprised that I can't add files to a CD that already has files burnt on it ( and with plenty of room left on the CD) without having to use toast. I thought I'd be able to use the CDRW just like a zip floppy.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Three things:

1. You can burn multiple sessions if you use Disk Utility. As for the steps. a good Google (or someone on this board who doesn't have to go cook dinner ) should be able to help you out.

2. I remember one of the Panther pre-release reports said that the default Finder disk burning action is now multiple sessions. Did this pan out?

3. If you just want to wipe what's on the CDRW, Disk Utility will also be of use.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Three things:

1. You can burn multiple sessions if you use Disk Utility. As for the steps. a good Google (or someone on this board who doesn't have to go cook dinner ) should be able to help you out.

2. I remember one of the Panther pre-release reports said that the default Finder disk burning action is now multiple sessions. Did this pan out?

3. If you just want to wipe what's on the CDRW, Disk Utility will also be of use.

I don't think that the Finder does multiple sessions. The ONLY thing I wish OS X had that XP does well is the CD burning. You can queue stuff up for later and it automatically burns sessions. For compatibility, that's not the best solution (Win98 can only see the last session of a multi-session cd), but it's incredibly convenient.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Thanks cybermonkey and defiant.

I'm kind of surprised that I can't add files to a CD that already has files burnt on it ( and with plenty of room left on the CD) without having to use toast. I thought I'd be able to use the CDRW just like a zip floppy.

No, in fact it goes beyond that. CD-RW (and plain CD-R) is a format where once you've written a volume, you can't modify that volume. You can erase it or burn a new volume with Toast, but you still can't modify an existing volume.

There are programs for PCs that "packet-write" CDs, allowing you to use them as ZIP drives, but there are proprietory solutions (so your burnt CDs won't work on most computers).

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 7
    To rewrite a CD-RW in 10.3, just open Disk Utility and click on the "Erase" tab.