Michael Dell is a true visionary

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.business2.com/b2/web/gall...9213-1,00.html

"If you look at what is happening with digital music and broadband, increasingly you have this idea of the digital home, with the PC at the center, connecting things that used to be proprietary. So there are now multipurpose monitors that can be a computer monitor or a TV. "

I am speechless. God bless Dell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/gall...9213-1,00.html

"If you look at what is happening with digital music and broadband, increasingly you have this idea of the digital home, with the PC at the center, connecting things that used to be proprietary. So there are now multipurpose monitors that can be a computer monitor or a TV. "

I am speechless. God bless Dell.

ya micheal dell is the coolest person alive... he invented everything
  • Reply 2 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Including the internet.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Yet....... his company is the biggest, most profitable computer manufacturer in the world. That does say something for letting others innovate and then take advantage of those efforts to outsell the innovators themselves.

Apple: $383 million in sales last year

Dell: $5.3 billion in sales last year

More info

here.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    It's going to be very interesting to find out how many of their sh*ty little mp3 players they sell. I don't think their brand is that strong outside of the computer market ... but we'll see.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How come so many tech journalists seem to know so little? btw that link is apparently broken.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple: $383 million in sales last year

Dell: $5.3 billion in sales last year

These numbers are simply wrong. Apple did $5.7 billion in net sales last year, according to their 2002 10-K filing. I think that maybe the $383 million figure refers to retail location sales only, since the article you referenced talked about a 4xx% gain due to more stores.

Of course it doesn't do any good to point out that Dell did $35 billion in net sales during the same period. But at least the ratio is better (7:1 vice 14:1).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Sounds vaguely like this crazy idea a guy named Steve came up with...I think he called it the Digital Hub or something to that effect. I'm sure glad we have guys like Mike Dell around to straighten that out for us.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

These numbers are simply wrong.

Actually, they are for U.S. retail sales from Apple Stores. But, why is Dell listed since it has no brick and mortar outlets of any consequence... just a few kiosks I believe?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Maybe... Apple reported $283 million in net sales from its retail stores in 2002. And maybe they are counting iPods and Macs sold through other retail outlets as well, that might come to $383 million.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Although Apple has lower sales than Dell, its still successful where it counts. Apple, along with Dell and Acer are the only computer manufacturers making a profit these days. And sometimes other people copying your ideas can prove successful (although this hasn't benn the case in the past for Apple).
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

ya micheal dell is the coolest person alive... he invented everything

Ummm...I believe that was our good friend Al Gore.

On a side note, I'm glad he isn't president. That is all.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'm glad he isn't president.

Ditto
  • Reply 13 of 13
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Ditto

ditto ditto