Digital Music- It's Apple against the rest of them

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got Newsweek today, and I noticed that there were two competing music advertisements, one for Creative Labs and one for Rhapsody. The Creative ad totally went on the offensive against the iPod. Compared battery life, song capacity...it was one of those "25% more than the leading competitor" ads. Unfortunately, those kinds of ads work. Who looking at the ad would guess that the sound quality with WMA is inferior to AAC? No one. They'll just see that it holds more songs.

Apple needs a really aggressive Christmas campaign to make the iPod's good aspects more well known. For example, the iPod weighs a lot less than the Zen, and has software that works a lot better. But no one is going to know that until it's publicised.

Get at it Apple.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    yeah, If there is one thing apple always seems to skimp on it's their ad campaigns, they really need a good strong ad campaign that tells people why a mac, or an iPod or iTMS is the best choice.

things like www.ipodrocks.com is what they need(yes I know that's an official apple webpage, they need to keep it up!)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

yeah, If there is one thing apple always seems to skimp on it's their ad campaigns, they really need a good strong ad campaign that tells people why a mac, or an iPod or iTMS is the best choice.

things like www.ipodrocks.com is what they need(yes I know that's an official apple webpage, they need to keep it up!)

Just a question: is ipodrocks.com advertised in print anywhere?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I just saw an iPod advertisment on TV in Singapore. Its good to see Apple trying to make an impression here. The last Apple TV advertisement I saw here was way back when the iMac was introduced.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    you make a strong point, but if you notice this is not a "comparison" campaign they are running as opposed to apple.

from the research I've done, from a few surveys we paid for is as follows.

the qualitative data for the demo wanting an in dash mp3 player was

16-29 year olds 86%

thats of 3,000 interviews now compare that to a personal mp3 player and think of this, I don't see many people than say older than 35 remotely interested in buying an iPod, valid there are exceptions but I'm just speaking numbers here. however its the 35+ demo thats going to be buying these things for their kids, and when their kid says they want an iPod, the parent is going to say what the heck is an iPod?!?! They'll say personal mp3 player, (they'll look and see an ad in newsweek for an mp3 player) these ads are in all the spots for the 35+ demo such as newsweek, however look at apples campaign in the free weeklys in metro markets, billboards close to college campuses, and such. ( much like alcohol beverage media buys)

Creative and Rio are just trying to steal the wind out of iPod's sails, the parents won't know the difference, they'll be thinking they found a better deal.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No matter what, Apple DOES indeed need to do more (and better) advertising. They'll forever be - and perceived as - a little "niche" company, making a "niche" product, for a "niche" market otherwise.

And that's a horrible, crying shame, considering...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

...however its the 35+ demo thats going to be buying these things for their kids, and when their kid says they want an iPod, the parent is going to say what the heck is an iPod?!?! They'll say personal mp3 player, (they'll look and see an ad in newsweek for an mp3 player) these ads are in all the spots for the 35+ demo such as newsweek, however look at apples campaign in the free weeklys in metro markets, billboards close to college campuses, and such. ( much like alcohol beverage media buys)

Creative and Rio are just trying to steal the wind out of iPod's sails, the parents won't know the difference, they'll be thinking they found a better deal.

No, I think that parents will hear "iPod" and go out and buy an iPod. I think that the iPod has strong enough brand recognition that consumer-conscious parents will want to buy the brand. For many, there will have been enough negative previous experiences with "its just as good as" or "its cheaper than" or "they will be just as happy with" for them to be reassured by buying the iPod itself.

And for the kids themselves, the iPod still has the coolness factor...for now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The most pathetic thing is Apple is doing ALL the marketing for AAC. What is the AAC Consortium(MPEGLA) most famout for?

Creating a great new Codec....no

it's freaking bytchin' about licensing fees. Well geez..now that you got the licensing fees that you wanted how about getting AAC support in some consumer hardware. I'm sick of seeing WM9 support in DVD players and nothing supporting AAC. Get off your asses and get this codec moving. If it wasn't for Apple AAC would be dead right now as a codec for the consumer.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apple should make a point in the middle of its regular propaganda about the quality difference of AAC and the iTMS songs vs. Napster, et al. It's pretty obvious in most cases when you know to listen for it, but for many, being unaware of any such issue, they won't think about it when it's time to purchase. Then again, like so many Windows computers and WalMarts of the world, "good enough' is the mantra.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    When will we see Apple use AAC HE (High Efficiency)?

I heard that my friends in Hong Kong saw those iPod TV ads on cable TV. However, AppleClub HK is weak.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Parents have a tendency to buy the cheapest of something for their kids.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    The iPod is going to cream all other players this shopping season. I was just listening to the sports talk radio station (WFAN) and the two hosts were gabbing on and on about how much they loved their iPods, "Mine has like a billion songs on it." I can't go a day without hearing about the iPod, beit on tv, radio, or in print.

Parents might be cheap, but they like to spoil their kids. iPods will sell.