PIN protection for iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Out of curiousity, why aren't iPods pin protected like cell phones (or at least have the option available). It seems like an easy step to take to counter theft.

Are PDA's pin protected?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    umm...if an ipod gets stolen, its not like you really need to protect the songs... they're all in itunes. i'd be more worried about losing the ipod...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It's not really about the songs. Many people keep important data on their iPods using the hard drive function, not to mention wanting to keep your calendar and contacts private.

Also, it's a big deterrent if someone other than the owner can't access an iPod, what's the use stealing one if that's the case?

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

[snip]

Also, it's a big deterrent if someone other than the owner can't access an iPod, what's the use stealing one if that's the case?

Barto

I'm gonna have to say there is still a reason to steal one. Wipe the HD and start over. Than you have an (essentially) new iPod. People will find a reason to steal anything. What do they need your data for anyway?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'm gonna have to say there is still a reason to steal one. Wipe the HD and start over. Than you have an (essentially) new iPod. People will find a reason to steal anything. What do they need your data for anyway?

Well then you don't put the pin in the hard drive. You put it in the Firmware or something.