I just bought a 17" iMac with two dead pixels.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
One blue, one white.

How do I go about replacing this $1800 puppy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

One blue, one white.

Chances are those are STUCK and not dead. Dead is black. Try gently massaging the area with a soft cloth in a circular motion and see if that fixes it. (Turn it off first)
  • Reply 2 of 14
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Chances are those are STUCK and not dead. Dead is black. Try gently massaging the area with a soft cloth in a circular motion and see if that fixes it. (Turn it off first)

Just tried that (strangely enough, Apple included a nice cloth for me in the box ). Three times. It flickers and recesses a bit, but ultimately comes back.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    keep doing it
  • Reply 4 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Bummer. I hate dead pixels.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Geez LCDs suck

The only problem with CRTS was the size and weight but moving to lcds with pixel problems is "two steps forward one step back" I hope those pixels come "alive" for you man.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think people learn to get all worked up about dead and stuck pixels. 2 pixels out of 1.3 million is maybe annoying, but doesn't make it a lemon.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It doesn't make it a lemon, but it sure sours the whole buying experience. That really sucks Steve, I sure hope those pixels work out.

I had 2 on a PowerBook once that appeared maybe 1 day a week or something. I'd give them a press and they'd go away for 5-6 days. Where are yours located?

I also had another up in the menu bar, so it was only noticeable while watching a DVD and the screen went black up there. Bummer, but I could live with it.

Yeah, it's a risk with LCDs that you get dead or stuck pixels, and one or two isn't the end of the world... but it still sucks ass.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    murbot is right - it sure does sour the buying experience. I hope those pixels work their way back to life for you too Steve.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    well, I had two dead pixels as well... but then my powerbook was all screwed up, it had trackpad problems, chassis delalignment, strange abrasions on the screen. They ended up giving me a new powerbook. Maybe you can find enough problems on your imac to do so as well. Find the tiniest of problems and complain complain complain
  • Reply 10 of 14
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I had a dead pixel right in the center of the screen on my old iBook. Its was just so annoyng, especially when watching movies.

Luckily my 17" Apple Display which I jus bought recently is dead pixel free. I am so happy!

My advice is like the rest of the guys - Jus hav to live with it....
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

...Jus hav to live with it....

F**K NO!

Don't live with it. If everyone else chooses to live with it , that's up to them, and it helps you, 'cos then Apple only gets a few nutcases who try to return an LCD product for the sake of 2 stuck pixels... like me ...

I don't know quite how I managed it... My request for a replacement 15 PB fell on deaf ears at Applecare - 2 stuck pixels and no other defects was no grounds for screen or machine replacement. But then I phoned up Aftersales, and - wowee - they said they would replace the PB, no questions asked, cos it was within 10 days of delivery. They said it was policy. I was able to hang on to my 'faulty' PB while the other one was sent to me. It took a month (usual in the UK) but it had a purfekt screen

If you're still in that 10 day period, you might have a hope...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

One blue, one white.

Like previous posters said, keep rubbing it. I had one with mine that was red(and it went away after a few rubs in the same day)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

F**K NO!

Don't live with it. If everyone else chooses to live with it , that's up to them, and it helps you, 'cos then Apple only gets a few nutcases who try to return an LCD product for the sake of 2 stuck pixels... like me ...

[snip, snip]

You people make me sick.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Do you really notice the stuck pixels outside of a pixel test? I ran a program to show any dead or stuck pixels right after buying my system, and that's when I found my one red stuck pixel. Every now and then I'll notice it, but it's really not an issue. It only shows up on dark backgrounds. Two stuck pixels really isn't a big deal, yeah it would be great if it were perfect but you've got to be realistic.