URU Ages Beyond Myst...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, the original Myst was written for the Macintosh. I remember getting a free copy when getting my new version of HyperCard.

Myst was then released for the PC due to its popularity, and two sequels were made, namely Riven and Exile ? both available for the Mac and PC.

Now we have URU: Ages Beyond Myst. If you go to apple.com, you can see in the Pro section that the sound composers used a few G5's and OS X to do the sounds and soundtrack to the game.

But alas, it isn't available for the Mac this time. Theysay they "are in negotiations".

Why the lack of support for the Mac? It disgusts me. It's because of the Mac the game became the best selling game of all time, (for a time).

Any opinions? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Yeah, it sucks. Unfortunately, it's not the first time something like this has happened.

Bryce 1 was Mac only... Corel has just abandoned the Mac version.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the Myst series is no longer owned by Cyan I believe.

so that explains it. Cyan was (is?) a very cool company and had an awesome HQ

Myst 3 also was available for mac
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, the Uru ad I saw last night had Cyan plastered at the end, along with UbiSoft.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i dunno, the landscapes of course look incredible as usual, but the gameplay looks just WRONG.

i mean, one of the great things about the MYST series was its immersive nature, of which i considered the first-person perspective to be integral. but now they've switched to a third person SIMS-like approach.

it'll probably be a fine game, but does it deserve to be in the MYST lineage? i am reminded of the poor handling of Myth: The Wolf Age when i look at this.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I play Uru on my PC. Cyan still has credits in the game. But the camera movement is something you have to get used to over time. There is an option to turn some of it off but it still cuts to 3rd person when you push buttons and stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I still reckon that UbiSoft owe us a Mac version by default.

Bastards... m.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Yeah, developers always feel that the grass is greener on the PC side.

I will venture to say that Mac versions of software may sell as good or better than the PC in terms of software sold vs installed base.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I agree with rok. The 3rd person gameplay doesnt fit well with the Myst series. Also too is the fact that the characters are all 3d animated instead of being live actors. This dissapoints me to be honest, but hopefully it will at least be a decent game.

Im sure a Mac version will come out eventually, its just a matter of when. Real Myst also had this dilema, but it eventually was released fot the Mac.

Another rather odd thing is that the game starts out in New Mexico... this is definately not in sync with the other games as the previous editions all let you use your imagination as to how you "arrived" in the game. As was mentioned earlier, the games were immersive for this reason. Im not so sure Uru will live up in this respect...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I agree with rok. The 3rd person gameplay doesnt fit well with the Myst series. Also too is the fact that the characters are all 3d animated instead of being live actors. This dissapoints me to be honest, but hopefully it will at least be a decent game.

Im sure a Mac version will come out eventually, its just a matter of when. Real Myst also had this dilema, but it eventually was released fot the Mac.

Another rather odd thing is that the game starts out in New Mexico... this is definately not in sync with the other games as the previous editions all let you use your imagination as to how you "arrived" in the game. As was mentioned earlier, the games were immersive for this reason. Im not so sure Uru will live up in this respect...

I see your point, and agree, though I'd still prefer to be able to get the game, anyhow. m.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    There is a survey about Uru here . If you say that you have not puchased it yet, they will ask you why and you can say that you are "waiting for a Mac® version."
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

the Myst series is no longer owned by Cyan I believe.

so that explains it. Cyan was (is?) a very cool company and had an awesome HQ

Myst 3 also was available for mac

I may be wrong, but IIRC, the way it happened was that Cyan sold the rights to MYST III:Exile to someone else because they were busy with another (at the time, codenamed) project. Uru is that project, which means that Cyan (and I believe at least one of the Miller brothers) are behind its creation.