7200rpm Powerbook drive questions...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was looking around the internet for a good 7200rpm drive for my TiBook 1Ghz and I am having trouble finding many. I was wondering if any of you know of a good place to order one from. I also want to know how much the drive is going to decrease battery life. I imagine that it will decrease search times etc a lot compared to the 4200rpm drive I have now. Anyway, any input would be appreciated... thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Head to price grabber and search for notebook hard drives. It'll give you a whole list of HD's. They are universally compatible so brand won't matter. Along the left side of the page there will be drop down menus you can use to refine your search...capacity, RPMs, access time, size...there you will find all you need to pick up that new HD. As for battery life, not a huge deal. Although a 7200 RPM drive is much faster than a 4200 RPM, your battery life should not suffer too much. Notebooks infrequently use the HD intensively and will only spin it when needed. You won't reach the 7200 RPMs the drive is capable of unless it is needed, and most of the time you won't need that kind of speed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    well they don't have anything I want... the sight seems only to have drives that are 30 or less GBs
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    For price tracking, I'd suggest either Pricewatch or the Ars Shopping Engine.

But you can also go to NewEgg, which is a highly acclaimed computer parts store. They don't always have the lowest price but they're usually very close to it. Also, their shipping rates are low and they send things out fast. Unfortunately, checking today revealed that they don't have any 7200 RPM laptop drives in stock. The best they have is the 80 GB 5400 RPM one, but they don't have the 60 GB 7200 RPM one.