Hot wire smell on my Tibook G4 1 gig

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am getting REALLY worried.....getting a burning/hot wire smell on the rightside of my Tibook under the keyboard. So far all is working but it is NOT a faint smell. I have backed up but....still worried.

Possibly on the same issue.....getting weird grinding sounds at times from the hard drive (or could it be the super drive) but after running Disk Warrior...all seems to be ok. The hard ware smart check seems to show all is well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I was going to suggest that you check the SMART status of your drive, but it seems you've already done that. Download an internal temp. monitor from version tracker and check the internal temp of your PB, if it seems abnormally high (maybe someone can give him some figures for what that model of PB should be) than you may be frying something. Good call on the backup, now hope for the best.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hmm, My friends powerbook did this the other day to. I walked in my room and it smelt like it did when I accidentally hooked up the 12 volt adaptor to the 9 volt phone, It went away when I put a fan in my room ( the room was abnormally hot. )

I would check into the temp your computer is running at. I might be going out on a limb here but I would say this is not normal. Perhaps check apples tech support forums to.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Also, if a wire is hot, it's running a lot of current through it.

This means that your battery would be getting the sh!t sucked out of it.

Check what your battery life is.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I was going to suggest that you check the SMART status of your drive, but it seems you've already done that. Download an internal temp. monitor from version tracker and check the internal temp of your PB, if it seems abnormally high (maybe someone can give him some figures for what that model of PB should be) than you may be frying something. Good call on the backup, now hope for the best.

Here is what I get when I try to run temp monitor...........

This computer is based on the 'PowerPC 7450' processor. The CPU manufacturer has disabled the Thermal Assist Unit on this chip, so it is not possible to report temperature information.

A feature check executed by the Mach kernel additionally confirms that this processor is not capable of returning temperature values.

A scan of your hardware indicates that there seems to be no alternative temperature sensor available that can communicate with the operating system.

Unfortunately, your hardware does not support temperature monitoring so this application can.......

As far the smell....it becomes stronger when the unit is running...but not when it is plugged in and asleep. As far as battery life...seems to be normal. Could the charger/AC plug area be the problem?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    optimist] maybe it's just a piece of dead skin or hair 'burning' [/optimist
  • Reply 6 of 7
    When it's running, just lift the keyboard and take a look around, check the cables, maybe one of them got loose and is touching heatsinks/pipes
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My 500 mhz ibook has a burnt rubber/wire smell as well wafting up from the keyboard. My brother says its the powersupply going bad.

Its been like this for 2 months now... (Yes I have it backed up).

Interestingly though, the oder is getting less as time goes on.