CCD Imaging Systems on cameras

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm having trouble understanding this whole CCD imaging system specs for two cameras.

First one is the Sony DCR-VX2100, here's what the PDF says:

3-CCD Imaging System

Each 1/3" CCD has 380,000 pixels for brilliant digital picture-quality

This is a a pro Digital Camera with a price tage of $3,000

Second one is the Sony DCR-TRV950, here's what this guys PFD says:

3-1/4.7" Advanced HAD CCD Imagers 1.0 Meha Pizel Gross

3-1/4.7" Advanced HAD CCD imagers with 690K effective pixels per CCD provides excellent detail and clarity, with exceptional digital video performance. Realize great looking digital still images utilizing 1000K effective pizzels. The Mega Pizel technology enhances your digital videos and gigital photography performace.

This is a semi-pro camera with a price tag of $2,000

The way i perceive it, the DCR TRV950 has better video Quaility than the DCR VX2100? Because of the higher pixels per CCD?

I don't know much about Specs of Digital cameras, just how to use them. Can someone shed some light? Thanks much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I'm sure others will jump in with more information. Here is my take on this.

Judging video cameras by number of pixels is bogus.

The DV standard is 720 x 480 pixels (345,600 pixels). The DCR-VX2100 is focused on producing good video. It has just enough pixels to cover the standard. Each pixel is then optimized for lowest noise and best sensitivity. Note that this camera has a sensitivity of 1 lux. I think the DCR-TRV950 has a sensitivity of 7 lux. The DCR-TRV950 is designed to meet multiple needs, one of which is video and another is taking still photos. Still photos need more pixels. That is probably why the DCR-TRV950 has more pixels.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yeah I kinda understand that. But I'm still confused on which one has better video quality.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Don't just look at the pixels. Look at the physical size of the chip. A 1/3" CCD will produce a better video image than a 1/4.7", no matter how many pixels are on chip partially because of LIGHT. With a bigger chip, more light is able to be captured at any moment creating a better image (light is your friend).

That's why lenses are so important too. The better the image is handled by the lens, the better the image will be recorded on the chip.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ah, ok, I understand now. Thanks very much!