eMac Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While it will be a few months before I can seriously consider the eMac or iMac or whatever Apple's got in store in early 2004, I've got a few questions on the eMac that the Search function did not seem to answer.

1. It's obvious that the eMac is a big machine, but not all of it keeps contact with whatever it is placed on. Could someone guess how many inches (length and width of that section if possible) are taken up by the part of the eMac that actually bears its weight?

2. That tilt and swivel stand is cool and appears to be very helpful. What is the diameter of that circular stand?

3. Well, for all you eMac owners out there, how do you feel about the machines? Are the nasty screen issues still occurring after the revision, or is that still a serious enough issue with new eMacs? How good or bad are its built-in speakers? Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The diameter of the circular stand is nearly 11 1/4 inches. I recommend buying the stand. It lifts the eMac up off of whatever surface you place it on so that it appears to float in the air. It also lets you swivel.

I have no issues with the screen.

However, I am a little disappointed with the quality of the speakers. They sound ok, but the overall volume is lower than my older purple iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Thanks for your help, but that seems a bit large. If an inch or so of it hangs off a desk, would the eMac still be OK, or would it become a $800 Humpty Dumpty?

Thanks again for your answer, and more comments are always appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

1. It's obvious that the eMac is a big machine

Actually no, it is not that big. I have a small desk, and it doesn't take up much room at all.

Quote:

2. That tilt and swivel stand is cool and appears to be very helpful.

It is helpful, especially for bringing the machine to eye level. I don't swivel it too much, except for showing people the AIO aspect of the machine. From the side, the eMac simply is not that big.

Quote:

3. Well, for all you eMac owners out there, how do you feel about the machines?

It is my first Apple, and I decided on it because is offers the most bang for the buck. 1Ghz processor, 1GB ram, 160 GB hard drive, SuperDrive, Tilt & Swivel, and AppleCare for $1500. OS X is really what makes the computer. With the money I saved, I scored a 10GB iPod and have been loving life.

Quote:

Are the nasty screen issues still occurring after the revision, or is that still a serious enough issue with new eMacs?

The screen is absolutely beautiful and crisp. You hear people talking about screen quality, and I can't speak for the past, but the eMac screen is flawless. You aren't going to see dead pixels or white spots on a CRT.

Quote:

How good or bad are its built-in speakers?

The speakers are very good. The only exception is when you turn them up all the way, the bottom corners of the screen wiggle, but you don't want to turn them all the way up, distortion occurs on all speakers. When I say all the way up, I mean maximum volume on the hardware and OS. It really is a non-issue. Go to an Apple Store and try it for yourself.

Quote:

If an inch or so of it hangs off a desk, would the eMac still be OK, or would it become a $800 Humpty Dumpty?

With the tilt & swivel stand, you can hang the back off of the desk because the stand is smaller than the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    For some reason the eMac looks a lot larger in photos than it does in real life. You needn't be concerned about space with except for its height. On the whole, it seems almost smaller than an iMac (again with the exception of the height). My bought one under my recommendation, and I almost got one. I remember when they first came out thinking that they were almost rather ugly, but in real life they're *very* cool looking computers. The screen is quite nice, and the performace is excellent. If I hadn't gone with buying a Powerbook, I would have bought an eMac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I did indeed get to see the eMac in person in November, but I was pressed for time, so I didn't get to play with it much. It looked nicer than some believed, in all honesty. Now I only have to count the... months.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I recently bought two eMacs, one for my wife, one for myself, about 8 months apart. It was cheaper to buy an iMac for home than it was to upgrade to an iBook or Powerbook of similar characteristics for my 500 mhz ibook. So once again I have one computer at home and another at work but with isync, and idisk, this is way less an issue than it used to be.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Republic

Couldn't you just buy a couple of Pro Speakers if you didn't like the sound??

Just a thought...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nedrick

Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

Just a thought...

If you mean Apple Pro speakers, they need a minijack, if I remember correctly, and the eMac does not appear to have that. There are all sorts of other speakers still available, but Apple Pro speakers are not among them without a sort of adaptor (which does exist, but it inevitably adds to the total cost)...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nedrick

Quote:

Just a thought...

IIRC, the drivers from the Pro speakers are those in the eMac. The housing is different, and obviously this affects the sound -- put it's not that different from the Pro speakers. Having used an eMac for most of last year, I think the speakers are really not bad at all. Bigger issues are system noise and the monitor problems (I experienced the raster shift problem and had to get the machine repaired), which have been pretty well covered by other threads here and elsewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    i got an eMac a couple months ago and have to say i am very pleased with it. it takes up about the same room as an average crt monitor really. the internal speakers are shite, no power at all. i bought the jbl creatures... much better. as for the tilt and swivel, i didnt get it and dont think its needed. i like the height its at without it. i havent had an issue yet with the monitor. it cant be as bad as people say. personally, i couldnt see enough difference between the eMac and iMac to fork out an extra grand. its a good purchase, for sure.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The eMac is a fine, fine machine...definitely sporting the most "bang for the buck" out of Apple's lineup (run the numbers).

Anyone saying otherwise is a hyper-picky, jaded dimwit of a spec-whore mope who never has been (or ever will be) happy with anything Apple releases.

But I don't mean that with any disrespect...

• Reply 12 of 14
    All this talk makes February too far away, and there is always MacWorld to complicate matters. As always, the responses are appreciated, but I don't know how to respond to the recent responses at the moment...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    "but Apple Pro speakers are not among them without a sort of adaptor (which does exist, but it inevitably adds to the total cost)... "

I just happened across an iFire Apple Pro Speaker Adapter/Amplifer in the MacConnection catalog for $39.95.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Ahh. But are they really that different from the eMac's stock units? Some seem to say yes here and some do not. At least it isn't a huge deal to me; I'm no audiophile.