MacHome magazine?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anybody here subscribe? I'm thinking about it, but wanted some input before I plunk down my $29.95.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    in the last year machome has gone through a couple editor changes and became horrible. (one issue was like 48 pages!) i unsubscribed when after 2 months after it was introduced, they still had yet to mention the 17" & the 12" powerbooks. pretty much incompetence all around so i dumped them.

maybe they've had a comeback, i don't know, i won't touch the piece of crap.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Had the same experience as 'superkarate monkeydeathcar'. And I dumped it too
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It doesn't provide any poweruser stuff, which sucks. It's really kind of mediocre.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It doesn't provide any poweruser stuff, which sucks. It's really kind of mediocre.

Well, that's why it's called MacHome. It used to be OK for the low end (home) user but has just lost it somehow IMO
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

in the last year machome has gone through a couple editor changes and became horrible. (one issue was like 48 pages!) i unsubscribed when after 2 months after it was introduced, they still had yet to mention the 17" & the 12" powerbooks. pretty much incompetence all around so i dumped them.

maybe they've had a comeback, i don't know, i won't touch the piece of crap.

Thanks - good to know...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I flip through it at Barnes & Noble or wherever (and I've even bought an issue or three over the years). It could (and should) be a really top-notch, consumer-oriented mag.

There needs to be one, and it's the closest thing.

There are certainly more "everyday", consumer-level types out there than the hardcore "power user" and I think Macworld is often too dry or "over the head" of many Mac newbies in certain areas.

MacAddict is too silly and immature and MacDesign is pretty much focused on Photoshop and graphics apps and hardware.

Basically, someone needs to come up with "iMag" or something: a fun, easy-to-read, plain-English magazine written for the switcher/newbie/novice/consumer/hobbyist that tackles all this! Lots of great photography, infographics and snappy, well-written how-to's, tips, tricks, timesavers, FAQs, mythbusting (Apple, hardware and software), etc.

Monthly columns on the various iApps (the major iLife ones, of course, but also the others like iCal and iSync).

Basically, the kind of magazine that anyone using a Mac for less than a year (or anyone NOT doing heavy graphics, coding, animation, scientific analysis, audio/video work, etc.) can purchase, understand, enjoy and LEARN FROM.

I fall into that group. Everyday I realize how much I DON'T know or completely grasp (even though I've been using Macs for 10 years). But Macworld often goes over my head or bores me to tears. I'd much rather plunk down my money for a magazine that actually focuses on more of the OS itself and the various Apple apps and uses for them. Even if were only bi-monthly or quarterly, like some of the nice, well-done British Mac magazines (which I absolutely LOVE...but can't seem to force myself to shell out $14 or so for...but they are GOOD and I always learn more flipping through them at the bookstore than I ever have with Macworld. They seem to place a value on step-by-step walkthroughs, easy-to-understand infographics/diagrams, kick-ass photography and not the same old Apple-supplied beauty shots, etc.).

My 2¢...

(hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Apple themselves do this...who's going to know this stuff better than the people who make it?)

• Reply 7 of 13
    Ex-subscriber of MacWorld, MacHome, and MacAddict here..

I often buy a copy of MacWorld UK or MacFormat in the newstand.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    i quit subscribing to macAddict after it seemed that their only mission in life seems to be "redoing your desktop" christ, they must have ownership in candybar or something.

add to it their smarmy little asides and wise-guy attitude and it got to be a bit much.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I think the problem not just Mac computer publications are that they can't compete with the internet for immediacy and current information.

Some, including myself prefer reading a hard copy magazine in bed. But the costs involved in putting together a good info packed magazine is enormous. If you don't get the subscriptions, you don't get the ad placements, which mean you don't get the revenues you need to produce it.

You need deep pockets to ride out the first year or so until subcriptions are accumulated. That or you need an investor that'll back you up.

On that note, anyone ever wonder why Apple themselves don't put out one? I mean Sony has one...as well as many of the car manufacturers such as Audi and BMW.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Sony's got a catalog. If Apple was smart, they have one too.

But as for a News Mag, no way. Would you trust a tech review from a writer that answered to Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Who says they'd have to have reviews, Frank?

More of a "lifestyle" or "how to" publication, as opposed to any sort of Macworld-esque reviews and so forth.

Because you're right, that WOULD be a bit of a biased conflict-of-interest otherwise, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Sony's got a catalog. If Apple was smart, they have one too.

you remind me of my wife, she's gotta have that piece of hard copy.

i always thought the whole idea of your computer was to free you from that huge pile of garbage that comes in the mail 6 days a week.

apples magazine can be found in their website, as can their catalog, the beauty of it is it can be changed hourly.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

you remind me of my wife, she's gotta have that piece of hard copy.

i always thought the whole idea of your computer was to free you from that huge pile of garbage that comes in the mail 6 days a week.

apples magazine can be found in their website, as can their catalog, the beauty of it is it can be changed hourly.

(Note: I expect credit for resisting the idea to reply to the first sentence...)

Apple.com works for me and the other 5% of Mac users, but the other 95% has no idea what Apple offers and how it relates to them.

They get what "a friend" tells them to get, which is usually Windows.

If we want to break that cycle, Apple's got to show people their products, with a plug for both the Apple Store and local dealers on the back cover.

There's no good reason not to do this. A monthly catalog in Canada's Globe and Mail or National Post, along with one in USA Today stateside would do more good that the boatload of switcher ads that didn't do anything for marketshare.