(Fast User) Logout after timeout

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OK, now in Panther there's a security prefpane that allows you to have the computer logout after a certain timeout. But, it completely logs you out. Quitting all open programs.

Why can't they have the option to Fast User Logout after a certain amount of time? I mean, it seems to make more sense. This way the computer gets locked without losing any work, and it's still available to other users, unlike the screensaver.

Anyone know a way to do this, even if it isn't enabled by the prefpane?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

This way the computer gets locked without losing any work, and it's still available to other users, unlike the screensaver.

Don't quite follow ya. The screensaver "enter password" dialog has a "Switch User" button.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

OK, now in Panther there's a security prefpane that allows you to have the computer logout after a certain timeout. But, it completely logs you out. Quitting all open programs.

Why can't they have the option to Fast User Logout after a certain amount of time? I mean, it seems to make more sense. This way the computer gets locked without losing any work, and it's still available to other users, unlike the screensaver.

Anyone know a way to do this, even if it isn't enabled by the prefpane?

Yeah this is something i'd like to see as well. Shouldn't be too hard to implement by some 3rd party app either (i hope)