Scanner

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been searching for a scanner compatible with Mac OSX and WinXP. I was looking at the epson 1670, that only has USB 2 (I have an Rev. A Powerbook). What are the other options, I would like Firewire but can live without it. I absolutely need to be able to scan negatives. Would this scanner do this in an acceptable quality, or is it worth to pay so much more for the epson 3200? Are there any other good options?

Also, what OCR software is recomendable, is OmniPage Pro worth it?

Is there any (afordable) way to share a scanner over a mixed Network?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I've found the Canon 5000f. Any real-life experiences here? The specs seem to be quite good.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I believe Omnipage Pro doesn't work well with OS X. The installer, for instance, can only be run in OS 9 (not in classic!). If you run it in OS X (the installer is carbonised, meaning you can run it natively in OS X), it produces an unusable application. Maybe they've fixed this by now?

Also, Omnipage doesn't ocr all that well. I've always liked the ReadIris Pro demos. They handle more formats than Omnipage, and seem to do a better job at ocr'ing too, especially when throwing low-resolution images at the app. They aren't nearly as well-known though. I really wonder why.

\