Any idea of trade-in/sell value

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to trade in my:

iMac G4 800MHz (15" Flatpanel Superdrive-1st gen) w/ 1GB RAM & HK Subwoofer

[Purchased: March 02]

for

a new iBook 12.1" G4 800MHz w/ 30GB HD, 640MB RAM, Combo Drive, Airport Card (Valued @ $1,220 through Apple Store EDU & $1,350 std price.)

I am wondering if anyone has an idea what the cost difference might be for trading in or sell the iMac for the iBook?

I do a lot more moving around now and the iBook looks to suit my needs and budget best. I never have used the DVD-R option and I have good external storage so the lesser in the iBook is not bad at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Do you actually mean trade in or simply sell your iMac?

You can trade in your Mac at PowerMax.

They are a Authorized Apple Reseller, charge no sales tax and have been fantastic to deal with in my experience.

I'm not sure how much you'll get, but it's pretty much a given that you'd definitely get more money if you sell it yourself on eBay.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well I was looking at dealing with either an Apple Store or a local Apple retailer (which cannot work educational deals though.) I am just looking to see what I can get for to get this machine off my hands which will help me figure out which portable would work well for me. Going on vacation soon and having a portable along would really be nice as well as for everyday use.

(Sending PowerMax an email now for their quote.) I don't really want to use eBay if I don't have to. I'd rather work with vendors, even if I get a bit less. Time factor: not having to mess around with other individuals, and having a complete and fast turn-around is what I am looking for. I have been with macs since the late 90's and know about Powermax, but haven't directly dealt with them. Nice to hear a great repor about them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    PowerMax won't pay you much. They'll probably offer $600-$750, then turn around and sell it for $1250 or something. You could probably sell it on eBay for $900 or so.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program through their outlets or anything, perhaps for students?

I'll check with my local reseller this week just to find out for sure.