How long should pb fan run at one time?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering how long a power book 17" fan should run at any one time? I was playing sim city and the temperature monitor was indicating 130 Farenheit, the highest I've seen and the fan was running and running and running. I think I played Sim city for like two hours before putting it into sleep mode to let some of the heat diapate. Does that sound right though, that high of a temp and the fan on contatly for at least an hour and a half? Thanks for feedback. Also, screen brightness was about halfway and keyboard backlighting was off and I was using plug-in adapter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Don't worry about it, my 15" AlBook gets up to 145...or had before. My fan always comes on when I'm playing games. I think as long as it doesn't get hotter then 145 you'll be fine. I don't think it will unless you have it by a fire
  • Reply 2 of 6
    and don't have use it when you are naked.

unless you have a desk.

my Pbook also only really heats up when I'm playing games, specifically emulation(surprisingly)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the fan will stay on for as long as it stays hot. Its temperature controlled, not on a timer.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Don't worry about it, my 15" AlBook gets up to 145...or had before. My fan always comes on when I'm playing games. I think as long as it doesn't get hotter then 145 you'll be fine. I don't think it will unless you have it by a fire

Then I'm screwed. My 12" PB often goes up to 150ºF+ when doing nothing more then surfing, listening to iTunes, and various random apps running the the background. Gets so hot that I can't have my wrist on the left palm rest area.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    n2nrnn2nrn Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

How do you know what temperature your processor is running?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I downloaded temperature monitor from can't remember what website, which I found through the forums. When you download and open it you can select from menu display sensor info. and mine says it's getting the temperature from- Analog Devices ADT7460. Not sure if that's the actual processor or somewhere else. Someone else know that and can tell me?