iBook G4-anyone know what screen it uses?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My sister dropped (and destroyed) her brand-new iBook G4 screen within days of using it. Apple wants a laughable $900 for such a repair.

I am looking into replacing the screen. I've seen the dual USB iBook screens go for between $200-$400, which is a much more palatable bite. However, no one seems to know if they are the same screen model as the previous iBooks-would another screen fit/be compatible with the current model G4 iBook? Does anyone know a part number (previous iBook screens were Samsung or LG models).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    That is a horror story. FWIW: I don't know if there is a difference between the two screens, but just looking at it, I couldn't tell any, comparing a G4 and a 600 MHz G3 14" screen here. Aside from brightness of course. Of course, the casing and latch are somewhat different. I don't know if you can replace the innards of that casing. You probably can.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

My sister dropped (and destroyed) her brand-new iBook G4 within days of using it. Apple wants a laughable $900 for such a repair.

I thought the iBook was supposed to be "bomb-proof." What's the point of AppleCare if it doesn't cover some clumsiness? I mean, I know... she dropped it.. but $900!! Are they seriously implying that the rest of the machine is worth only $200, or that it'll take more than an hour of "labor" to replace the screen? Even at $50 bucks an hour, that would say that the rest of the iBook is a piddly $250.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

My sister dropped (and destroyed) her brand-new iBook G4 within days of using it. Apple wants a laughable $900 for such a repair.

I am looking into replacing the screen. I've seen the dual USB iBook screens go for between $200-$400, which is a much more palatable bite. However, no one seems to know if they are the same screen model as the previous iBooks-would another screen fit/be compatible with the current model G4 iBook? Does anyone know a part number (previous iBook screens were Samsung or LG models).

Go to your local APPLE reseller dealer that also does repairs. They will replace the screen for much less. And tell your sister she needs to be more careful!

• Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Go to your local APPLE reseller dealer that also does repairs. They will replace the screen for much less. And tell your sister she needs to be more careful!

At that price couldn't you just buy an older 12" ibook on ebay and use that screen on her g4 ibook? (someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 12" ibook and 12" powerbooks have had the exact same screen for over 2 years now. I would think by now there would be lots of used 12" lcd screens you could get installed.

As to the drop.. hey..these things are small. I dropped my ibook once.. it was in a big stack of papers I was moving and it slipped out and fell 4 feet to the hard wood floor. Luckily only the CD tray flipped out..but not all the way..it was still attached. Suprisingly I was able to just gently wiggle it back in..and it has worked fine ever since.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I've gotten quotes from the local Apple Store and another Mac reseller. Bottom line: Apple doesn't cover shattered LCD screens...ever.

None of them want less than $900 for the repair. The excuse is that they "replace the entire top of the machine"-give me a break. I think I will probably buy one of the dual USB iBook screens off eBay and see if I can get it to fit. Has anyone installed any of those?

I've put together many a computer in my day-how difficult do you think it would be for someone who's accustomed to doing computer repiar work?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

I've put together many a computer in my day-how difficult do you think it would be for someone who's accustomed to doing computer repiar work?

Open up the screen case (be sure to use a Torx 8 screw driver) and look for the connection from the iBook's base to the screen. If it is just plugged in - good for you - you simply have to exchange the screen. If it is slondered (spelling?) - bad luck - then your only hope is that it is plugged in somewhere deep inside the base which means you have to take the whole thing apart.

I just had to replace my iBooks harddrive so I know that this is not really difficult (be sure to use good tools and pin down where each screw you remove belongs) but takes time and care. Getting the white bottom cover off is a sensitve job, though.

Good luck (and post some pics!)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I've gotten quotes from the local Apple Store and another Mac reseller. Bottom line: Apple doesn't cover shattered LCD screens...ever.

None of them want less than $900 for the repair. The excuse is that they "replace the entire top of the machine"-give me a break. I think I will probably buy one of the dual USB iBook screens off eBay and see if I can get it to fit. Has anyone installed any of those?

I'll tell you right now it's a waste of time and money. The cables used to connect the LCDs and the hinge components aren't necessarily even going to line up between two different revs of the system.

The cost of replacing the display is not labor, it's mostly the cost of the LCD itself. High resolution TFT LCD displays are in substantial demand with respect to how many are produced.

She might want to check whether her homeowner's or renter's policy covers accidental damage to things like laptop computers. Some do, and $900 might well be enough over the deductible to be worth it.

Incidentally, the rumor is that Apple's looking at selling a slightly more expensive version of AppleCare that covers accidental damage. This might be worth it IF it's not covered by other insurance -- however, I suspect a lot of people would sign up who are covered and just don't know it.

-- Mark
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

The cost of replacing the display is not labor, it's mostly the cost of the LCD itself. High resolution TFT LCD displays are in substantial demand with respect to how many are produced.

I guess that explains why Apple wants $900 to replace an iBook screen, and resellers charge $1050 to replace the 17" Powerbook screen.

I've purchased a dual USB iBook screen off eBay, and I'm gonna take a crack at it. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it back and wait for iBook G4 screens to become available to resellers. It's not exactly an urgent repair, (don't tell my sister I said that!)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I guess that explains why Apple wants $900 to replace an iBook screen, and resellers charge $1050 to replace the 17" Powerbook screen.

If you're talking about an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they should be able to order an iBook G4 display today. However, don't expect their price to be much better than Apple's.

-- Mark