about bluetooth

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i'd like to know if there's any difference between having a pb 15" with bluetooth module and buying the d-link bluetooth adapter for a powerbook....

can i connect to another powerbook without the d-link adapter?? i mean, just with the bluetooth module that already comes with the pb...

i saw the specifications for the dlink, and it has support for macc to mac connectionss....so that's why i'm asking

thnxs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    why would you want to connect two PBs (both equipped with Gigabit Ethernet, perhaps Airport) using Bluetooth?

range of AirPort = @ 50 metres

range of BlueTooth = @ 10 metres

transfer rate of Gigabit = @ 1 Gbps

transfer rate of AirPort = @ 54 Mbps

transfer rate of BlueTooth = @ 724 Kbps Assymetrical, 434Kbps Symmetrical

geez... almost better to use the modem port at 56k

the value of the external BT module might be that you could share it between machines
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by basurita20

i'd like to know if there's any difference between having a pb 15" with bluetooth module and buying the d-link bluetooth adapter for a powerbook....

can i connect to another powerbook without the d-link adapter?? i mean, just with the bluetooth module that already comes with the pb...

i saw the specifications for the dlink, and it has support for macc to mac connectionss....so that's why i'm asking

thnxs

I'm not sure bluetooth is so hand for connecting Macs, especially with Airport and Rendevous. However, it is very handy for connecting to other computers/devices. I've found it a lot easier to send a file (for example) via bluetooth to a friend's windows laptop or to a PDA, than to try to get networking up and running (where that's even an option).

As for the internal vs. the adapter issue: Unless you need bluetooth for multiple machines and can't afford it for each of them, I'd get the internal. It doesn't stick out from your machine and eat up a USB port, and being an Apple product you're less likely to ever have support issues.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    i asked because me and a friend are going to buy an pb 15"...but without the airport...and wanted to know if i could play some games wireless with him...

now, does the pb comes with bluetooth ready or i have to buy it apart?? thanks!! (i'm going to buy the 15" pb without superdrive)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

i asked because me and a friend are going to buy an pb 15"...but without the airport...and wanted to know if i could play some games wireless with him...

now, does the pb comes with bluetooth ready or i have to buy it apart?? thanks!! (i'm going to buy the 15" pb without superdrive)

I'm not sure I understand what you're planning...

All the Aluminum PowerBooks come with Bluetooth built-in.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

There's no module to take out, unless you want to void your warantee.

[Aside: Come on, man, don't you know what you're spending 2x$1999.00 USD on??? ]

Also, get the Airport; it's *well* worth the money; and hell, even if you don't have access to a wireless network, you can have fun wardriving .
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ok, thanks....i'll see if i can buy the airport....the thing is that i should buy also de airport card for the powerbook...i'm not sure if i can afford that...because i'm planning to buy the apple wireless mouse and add 256 mb of ram to the pb...

thanks a lot!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

ok, thanks....i'll see if i can buy the airport....the thing is that i should buy also de airport card for the powerbook...i'm not sure if i can afford that...because i'm planning to buy the apple wireless mouse and add 256 mb of ram to the pb...

thanks a lot!

For what it's worth:

Don't add RAM through the Apple store, get it elsewhere; Apple is notorious for overcharging on RAM (and hard drives).

Also, you don't need to get the Airport Base Station (I find it to be really overpriced), any 802.11g router is just as good.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    great!!! i didn't know that i could use another router than the airport to get wireless!

also, i've heard that the pb has a lot of screen problems...is that true?? i'd like to know this very well because i'm from argentina and it would be a real problem if i have to send it to repair it...

thanks
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    There's a big thread over here which discusses the problems faced by the new PB models. However, I think Apple is making some headway into fixing the issue, thankfully. Anyway, happy reading